FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCP with older HD TV

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Hansen
HDCP with older HD TV
on Feb 26, 2009 at 10:35:00 pm

i didnt know what forum to post this question in, but i thought the DVD authors would probably know best.

i have an older Sony rear projection HDTV with component and DVI ins. its roughly 5 years old, so it definitely doesnt have HDCP capability. i've been thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player, but i'm confused as to how to hook it up. i was reading the manual for the Samsung BD-1500 and it said if i used an HDMI to DVI cable and the TV didnt have HDCP, then i would see static. but the component HD out would work. but if i put in a DVD, the player wouldnt upconvert on the component output, just the HDMI out. but do i need HDCP to play back DVDs on a Blu-Ray player, or only for Blu-Ray discs?

i appreciate any answers to this off-topic question.

e

Eric Hansen, The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: HDCP with older HD TV
on Feb 27, 2009 at 1:15:58 am

I have a older Toshiba with DVI, I have a Playstation 3 and a HD DVD player hooked up via a HDMI to DVI cable and all is fine. The HD Component connection would work also.

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Feb 27, 2009 at 5:51:49 pm

Eric,
Some DVI connections are compatible with HDCP, but I wouldn't be surpirsed if your 5 y/o projector isn't. If it's not, you will not be able to get a video signal to it other than via RGB, which you already know. Also, component only supports 29.97i so your progressive discs will get converted on the way out.

Max
--
Blu-ray producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 27, 2009 at 6:10:11 pm

are you sure about component only being 29.97? i believe my current DVD player is outputting 23.98 (SD) as both it and the TV are set to progressive (i think the setting is called 24p, but i will have to double-check). but maybe only 29.97i for HD since 1080p24 technically isnt a standard?

i can't believe the complications here. i'm a fairly experienced video guy and i couldnt imagine a guy at Circuit City trying to explain this to my mom. i guess their answer would be to get a new TV.

thanks

e

Eric Hansen, The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]