FORUMS: list search recent posts

putting web files onto video DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
putting web files onto video DVDs
on Feb 20, 2009 at 6:13:02 pm

My clients want their shows in every flavor, from a DVD that they can view on their large screen TVs via DVD player, to Flash/Quicktime/etc. files that can be put on their websites.

I'd like to give my clients one DVD that will do it all. I also like the idea of freezing all of that content in an .iso file, for archiving.

I used to use a program called eDVD to put such content on DVDs, but it seemed to fall out of favor and I'm reluctant to use an unsupported program.

Is there another way to put DVD ROM content (if that's the correct term for data that is accessible from a computer, but not a DVD player) onto a video DVD that can be viewed through a DVD player?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: putting web files onto video DVDs
on Feb 21, 2009 at 3:42:43 pm

Bob,

Are you trying to link to data (files, web sites) from a video DVD?
Or is it simply that you want to put data on a disc along with a VIDEO_TS?

If the second question is true then it's trivial to do. If the first question is true my recommendation is don't do it.

eDVD worked as well as any solution that was ever developed and it ultimately proved unsupportable. Apple's DVD Studio Pro has @Access which is supposed to provide linkage outside the DVD domain. In my experience it's not reliable.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 22, 2009 at 11:26:31 pm

[Dave Friend] "Are you trying to link to data (files, web sites) from a video DVD?
Or is it simply that you want to put data on a disc along with a VIDEO_TS?"

Exposing my ignorance, here, Dave, but let me try to refine my question.

I don't care whether the data shows up within the video-DVD experience. (The only time that happened with eDVD was when the user played the DVD in a computer, anyway.) I would like the user to be able to insert the DVD in a conventional DVD player, and see the menu and video.

I would also like the user to be able to insert the DVD into a computer, and be able to override the auto-play DVD player, and access the data, i.e., the Windows Media, Quicktime, MPEG versions of the video.

Are you saying, cake, for the latter need?

I agree with your caution about using eDVD.

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Feb 23, 2009 at 10:29:30 pm

Bob,

As long as you don't need to link from the DVD video playback to the other files on the disc there's no problem.

Most authoring software has the ability to include a "ROM Data" folder. It's as simple as putting the files (and folders) you want the user to access into a folder and telling your authoring software to include this folder in the DVD.

The "ROM Data" folder and it's contents will be at the 'root' of the DVD file structure when viewed with Windows Explorer or a Mac's Finder.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Thanks
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:57:35 am

Thanks Dave. So adding data files won't affect the playability in a DVD player, and vice-versa? That's actually a very cool thing, especially nowadays when people want so many options.

bob

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Thanks
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:40:31 pm

[Bob Cole] "So adding data files won't affect the playability in a DVD player, and vice-versa?"

No, it will not. The only possible side-effect would be on the PC side. If XP (and probably Vista) see more than one media file type that it knows what to do with it may ask the user what they want to do. I'm sure you've seen this behavior when putting in a disc or plugging in a portable drive.

But the DVD will play just fine on both set top and computer based players.

What are you using to author these days?

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Thanks
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:42:45 pm

[Dave Friend] "What are you using to author these days?"

Due to laziness + familiarity factor: Still using Encore 2 on the PC - have FCS and CS 3 on the Mac but haven't used DVD SP4 or Encore on Mac.

Return to posts index

aaron kochman
on May 6, 2009 at 9:20:40 pm

Hey guys,

I am trying to do the same thing, and I seem to have stumped the folks at Roxio. I run an Avid Adrenaline on a HP. What is the best software to use for this kind of DVD?

Thanks,
Aaron Kochman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]