FORUMS: list search recent posts

uncompressed 10-bit dvd please help!!!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Rovit
uncompressed 10-bit dvd please help!!!
on Feb 12, 2009 at 7:22:10 pm

OK let me first say that when it comes to DVD authoring and exporting this is not my strong suit. I'll be as specific as I can.

I'm working on a project in Final Cut Pro 5 and the project specs are as follows: Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 NTSC 4:3 48khz 16bit. The media was given to me by a post house as a "direct to hard drive" transfer from 16mm. The hard drive films are the same settings that I listed above.

Now, what I've been doing is exporting my finished film as a Quicktime Movie - that is a Final Cut Movie with same settings as the sequence and importing this asset directly into DVD Studio Pro.

The problem is that the DVD and the exported quicktime are extremely interlaced and digital looking i.e. there are pixel tracing effects when people or things move.

If anyone can help me out or needs to know something more specific please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: uncompressed 10-bit dvd please help!!!
on Feb 12, 2009 at 7:30:28 pm

PLEASE SEARCH BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We go over this 10x a week.

It is better to encode your footage to m2v and audio to ac3 with compressor before going to DVDSP.

If you give me your TRT I can give you the bitrate or you can google bit rate calculator, you need to know where your compression needs to be to get the highest possible quality. If you still don't like the quality of the encode you need to buy a better encoder, search the board for recommended software or pay someone that has experience to compress it for you.

Return to posts index

Nat Rovit
on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:45:08 pm

I apologize Michael I should have searched first. Thanks for the quick response nevertheless. If you get a chance to calculate, my TRT is 00:12:13. For some reason my compressor isnt working. I get an error message that says unable to process background. Maybe I need to reinstall the software?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:34:40 am

for something this short I recommend

From FCP > Export > To Compressor
Make a m2v preset
CBR Bitrate 7Mbps, make sure you have same frame rate and field dominance as the original footage.

Encode the audio to Dobly Digital - ac3 stereo
Bitrate: .192 Mbps
Change the Dialog Normalization to -31 dB
Go to the Preprocessing Tab - set Compression to NONE

Return to posts index

Felipe García-Peña
on Apr 1, 2009 at 9:24:21 pm

I have exactly the same problem... can you fix it?
'cause what I did, was putting a deinterlace filter to all the media, and It works... but I feel I lost a little bit of quality....

Did you figure a diferent way to fix it?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 1, 2009 at 9:59:28 pm

Why would you deinterlace footage if you are going to a DVD? If your source footage is interlaced it should be interlace through the process, always keeping the field order the same.

When encoding to m2v from uncompressed there will always be a quality lose. You cannot go from 100GB/hr to 2GB/hr without giving up quality.

Return to posts index

Nat Rovit
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:45:57 pm

Felipe-
It's funny you should mention de-interlacing the footage because this is what I initially ended up doing. Basically, the native-interlaced footage was not playing as well as I would have liked in DVD form on an HD television so I de-interlaced in FCP and then authored. Michael is right - this is not a "smart" or traditional way of doing things but it worked for me. I agree though - there is some quality loss I think in the colors and sharpness. However, the BEST way I found to do this is go directly out of FCP with your interlaced files through compressor or sorenson - this DVD looks better than the de-interlaced one. Just drag the Best Quality DVD Studio Pro settings onto your project file.
-Nat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]