FORUMS: list search recent posts

The future of DVD's

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Smith
The future of DVD's
on Feb 11, 2009 at 2:27:17 pm

With the exponential growth of online video sources like YouTube, iTunes, and Hulu, what is the lifespan of the DVD. As clients and production houses continue to develop video for online use and as movies and television shows are proliferating online, there has to be a significant impact DVD's.

What are your thoughts on the viability of the DVD format? Will it go the way of the VHS soon or is there still life in the format?

Alan

Alan Smith
Media317

Check out my blog - http://media317.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: The future of DVD's
on Feb 11, 2009 at 3:37:36 pm

No way you will see DVDs go away anytime soon. Yes...more and more content is distributed on-line but the fact remains that most of people in the world dont watch movies on-line...and this will not be the case of many years. Once there's the case that most people IN THE WORLD can go down, buy a TV and plug it into the net and watch just about any movie or show ever produced then...maybe.

This is just my opinion. Hell, I finally got my mother and father to buy a DVD player last year and they still would rather rent VHS but cant (my mom says she hates the menus :) ) I personally dont think the avg consumer is that sophisticated when it comes to the content - A big miscalculation on the part of Blu Ray consortium for example They just want whatever comes down the pipe and DVD is the most widely used form of distribution by a mile at this point.

I give DVD another 15 years at least.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2009 at 3:37:45 am

I give all physical media about 5 more years, then it will all be download. You can already download and stream/rent HD movies.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Skolnik
on Feb 23, 2009 at 12:35:35 am

I think for the long term DVD's are done.The life span on burned
DVD's is very short.I have some DVD's never used once,after burning,that are freezing up. There only 5 years old and stored in a temperature controlled environment. The manufactures either lied or just don't know any better.The DVD's that are pressed seem to have
the best chance of lasting the 50 years or so we were told.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]