FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has anyone used Sonic Scenarist or DVDit pro HD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bandy
Has anyone used Sonic Scenarist or DVDit pro HD?
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:31:51 am

How is Sonic Scenarist in comparison to DVDit pro HD?
I have heard that Scenarist is pretty good has anyone used either of these programs and if so how has your experience been so far?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Has anyone used Sonic Scenarist or DVDit pro HD?
on Feb 11, 2009 at 7:42:05 am

Are you talking Blu Ray?

You can't even compare the two. Scenarist is a professional spec tool with a huge learning curve and a sticker price of about 35K. DVDit Pro is a prosumer tool.

Return to posts index

Matt Press
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:01:25 pm

I use both, Scenarist for SD DVD and DVDitPro HD for simple Blu-ray work. DVDitPro HD is glitchy, slow and limited, but it gets the job done with some extra work on the outside (preparing assets so no secondary compression is required, etc.).

I've been a Scenarist user for four years and once you get past the learning curve it is a great tool. I haven't tried the BD version, but I hear Sony Blu-print is great as well.

-Tom

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Feb 13, 2009 at 6:29:03 am

Ok, This is what we are trying to do. We are currently shooting in 1280x720p 59.94 to a focus enhancements hard drive. Our video files are captured to m2t. We are editing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on a Windows xp operating system and want to be able to produce blu-ray discs with menus.
How hard is it to make menus in DVDit pro hd?
What are you using for editing, and encoding?
Are you using Mpeg 2 files for blu-ray or h.264?
What sort of bugs are you finding?
I need to be able to produce blu-rays soon and am trying to find a stable authoring program because encore CS3 is not working at all. Any information is helpful.

Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 13, 2009 at 2:47:19 pm

I've used DVDit Pro only once so I would be able to give you much info there. Those tools are very easy to use so it shouldn't be too hard to learn. You could also try Encore in the new CS4 or Do Studio - both are able to create pop-ups menus while DVDit Pro does not. Encore for CS3 is useless for professional work - hope CS4 is better.

There's an article you should read:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/pdf_issues/COWmag_NovDec2008_spreads.pdf

Are you doing something for replication or just a one-off?

Return to posts index

Tom Amici
on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:17:26 pm

DVDit Pro HD creates Blu-ray as if they are a standard DVD, so you would prepare the menus in the same way, although you only have to design for 16:9.

If you are just doing simple menus with video, DVDit Pro should fit your needs fine. However, it crashes like crazy if you let it compress your video assets for you, so they must be prepared outside. We use Compressor or Cleaner XL, but there is an output for Premiere as well. Here is a forum entry from Roxio outlining the specs for asset creation.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=21049

This program is good for creating one-offs and duplicated discs. If you need replication, that's a whole other ball of wax. I have heard that DVDit Pro can create masters that replicate, but haven't heard any solid testimony to back it up, as most people doing these kinds of discs use the high-end software.

Tom Amici
Tobin Productions
NYC

Return to posts index

Jothy Lippi
on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:24:18 am

Hi please I'm looking for a short course on scenarist sd, if you are interested please contact me at diamond.d@free.fr.
We can talk about how and how much.
Thank you in advance
Joe

Return to posts index

Craig Youmans
on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:22:16 pm

I have used DVDit Pro SD and HD and Scenarist SD Pro.

Scenarist goes deeper into the DVD specification than any other SD authoring program and offers full GPRM control down to the cell level. However, it has a shameful interface with NO UNDO (that's right not even 1 level of Undo). This means that you may not make a mistake. I have not used the scenarist HD version, which does have an undo command. Scenarist SD can do everything you see on "Block buster" DVDs, but it is very heavy handed to use.

I have recently abandonned Scenarist after 10 years of stuggling without an "undo" command and have certainly wasted many days, weeks and perhaps months because of this.

Scenarist SD cost about $5,000.-- which makes it about 10 times more expensive than DVDit Pro (HD).

DVDit Pro (SD and HD) is very easy to use and highly recommended.

I is a great shame that Scenarist SD is so awfull to use, because it can certainly do some very cool things. What a shame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]