FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD+R dl compatibility?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Arnold
DVD+R dl compatibility?
on Feb 5, 2009 at 11:59:35 pm

Hi guys,

I got a project that needs to be burned and distributed to a dozen random people on double layer media. Wondering what the current compatibility is with set top and computer dvd players? 80% 90%? Is it still a problem or should I be good ok?

Will players made before 2004 work?

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: DVD+R dl compatibility?
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:59:29 am

Use Verbatim DL 2.4x discs only. Burn @ 2.4x with Booktype Setting (which tells the player its a DVD-ROM disc instead of burned media). This has proved to be the most compatible. I own one of the first dvd players that came to market, and it refuses to play any burned media regardless, however 98% of all players (so I've heard) should play with the media and method I gave you.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Chris Arnold
on Feb 8, 2009 at 1:13:16 am

Thanks a lot Jon. Your info is very helpful.

Just one question about the booktype. Is this easy to set to DVD-ROM? Would that option only be available in DVD Studio Pro and/or Adobe Encore, or would it also be available in a simple program like imovie? I assume this is something you set with the authoring software, is that correct?. Thanks,

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:36:20 pm

It is something that can be set in the authoring software, however not many of them have the option. I'm not as familiar with the mac apps for authoring, but on the PC, the booktype setting is usually set by software that comes with the burner. For example, Plextor drives come with Plextools Professional software which always runs in the background and anytime you burn to a DVD+R disc, regardless of the app you are burning it in, it will change the booktype for you to DVD-ROM. The Booktype setting can only be modified on DVD+R discs and not DVD-R. If your drive did not come with any software that allows you to do this, there are free applications that allow you to do it on certain drives. Just research "change Booktype setting" on your particular make/model burner.

Also, here is just some additional info for you:

DVD-R discs are more compatible than DVD+R discs. However, DVD+R discs WITH the booktype setting are more compatible than DVD-R discs.

I read an article once that broke down all the percentages. If I recall correctly, it was something like:

DVD+R = 75% compatibility with all players
DVD-R = 85% compatibility with all players
DVD+R w/ Booktype Setting = 95% compatibility with all players

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Chris Arnold
on Feb 10, 2009 at 12:16:59 am

Thank you very much for clarifying that. I now have a good understanding of burnable media. Your info was very helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]