FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro to non-Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Phillips
DVD Studio Pro to non-Mac
on Feb 3, 2009 at 8:51:08 pm

Hi,

I am trying to view a DVD on an ordinary dvd player after burning with DVD Studio Pro. It works on the Mac after burning, but does not work on a normal PC nor the dvd player. I've tried .m2v and H.264 formats and I have tried changing the regions to my local region - still no joy.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks

George

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Studio Pro to non-Mac
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:27:39 am

[George Phillips] "H.264 formats" will be turned into m2v on burn, so you are wasting time and quality going to that.

You have to give specific settings and procedures if you want help.

Return to posts index

George Phillips
on Feb 5, 2009 at 3:59:26 pm

Hi Michael,

I see - thanks for your response.

I worked out that the problem is quite basic, relatively - it seems I was trying to play HD in a dvd player that's not capable of playing HD. I don't want to waste anymore DVDs so I am going slowly. Soon I will try SD DVD in DVDSP.

Probably a stupid question, but why does Compressor give the option of H.264 if DVDSP burns it into m2v anyway? Presumably for other purposes like the internet or playing directly to a HD monitor? What about all these people buying HD TVs who want to burn or watch HD disks ? (which is H.264 so I have read).

Time is not the problem - I want as much quality as possible, which is why I checked HD DVD in DVDSP and compressed H.264 before that. I think I know how to max the quality in Compressor just before I compress the file (in the inspector, 'quality tab') with m2v settings - i.e. Best Quality 90mins (film is 14mins), MPEG - 2.

This confusion has meant I have to type out the subtitles again (did it in HD DVD set in DVDSP), so I will get back to you once that's done. Is there a quick way to transfer subtitles from one DVDSP project to another by the way? I will have this issue again in future projects - importing from a text file or whatever with STL but I will cross that bridge when it comes - now it is a question of 25mins redoing the subtitles unless I can transfer them.

I appreciate your time,

George

Return to posts index

George Phillips
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:14:06 pm

Ahh! I forgot about Blu-ray - I just updated my personal hard disc, also known as a brain, on Wiki and remembered HD DVD has been discontinued. No wonder I have so much trouble!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]