?Compression?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Scichowski, II
?Compression?
on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:25:05 pm

I am a DVD Author Noob!
MBP 2.33ghz / 2g Ram / Leopard / Final Cut Studio 2

I am been fooling around with DVD Studio Pro(DSP)

I felt proud of myself making a very sweet and simple DVD menu, I even got the chapter menu to play just the chapter selected, but after I burned the video it looks horrible in play back.

After making a reference video in FCP. I imported the asset into DSP... Left it to encode overnight. After coming back to burn...without a dvd burner in the system that will "calibrate laser properly" to burn a double layer dvd I used Build/Format to create a DVD image.

I have now burned that image using another mac and the DVD plays back horribly?

I am still hunting and pecking around the CC forums to find out maybe why or a solution...

The only thing that I can assume is that I need to use Compressor to create an MPEG-2 file, import that in and then create the dvd...is this a correct assumption?

The straight video looks fine. It is the graphics that I have in the video that look bad...I would say pixelated at best...

iDVD never gave me this problem. I sent the reference video from FCP to iDVD and then dumped it into a television server and it looks a whole lot better...

Solutions?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: ?Compression?
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:33:37 am

There is a bunch of post about how to get the best or better quality.

But more info would help, what are your settings, are you having a problem with the main video or your menu.

[Michael Scichowski, II] "After making a reference video in FCP. I imported the asset into DSP... Left it to encode overnight. After coming back to burn...without a dvd burner in the system that will "calibrate laser properly" to burn a double layer dvd I used Build/Format to create a DVD image. " This makes no sense to me, what are you saying is the problem here. How long is your video?

Return to posts index

Michael Scichowski, II
on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:25:50 am

Thanks for the reply!

I am not sure what settings I would be looking at in DSP... I will be looking at them tomorrow as far as what is set in DSP...

But I left the office with Compressor cooking the reference video on MPEG-2 Best Quality at 150 minutes...

Does that sound reasonable for a 2 hour 15 min video to be put on a DVD?

The main problem I am having is that the video that I watch in FCP look a lot cleaner, especially around the edges of the graphics, lower thirds, LiveType video files overlaid on to video, before I export a reference video into DSP.

Again, I am shooting into the dark as far a being a noob at some of this conversion game. I am reading as much and watching as much as possible to get this straight... I think I may have put myself in a bit of a bind with not knowing enough about exporting as much as I do about just editing video...

Yes I made my start in Window Movie Maker!

Return to posts index

Michael Scichowski, II
on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:48:58 pm

Let me start again.

I have a 2h13m vid. w/ ch. markers...

I need its ultimate destination to be a DVD... if at all possible without losing quality to a DVD-R...

This is what I have done...

Exported the video as a ref. vid. w/ ch. markers...

Imported ref. vid. as asset into DVD Studio Pro 4, added a still image as a menu background with sub menus for the ch.

After a final build/format onto the HDD, because the DVD drive wouldn't burn dl DVD's. I moved to a comp that did and used disk utility to burn it.

Why does the quality look like sd streamed over the internet?

I want to say the video put out of DSP4 was NTSC 4000...

Does this make and sense?... now?

Thanks again!

~ Yes I made my start in Windows Movie Maker! ~

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 4, 2009 at 7:15:52 pm

Those presets are to fit that amount of time on a DVD-5 so if you are burning to a DVD-DL you are over compressing. If you want to go to a Dual Layer disc you can encode as high as 7 Mbps for the video as long as you use ac3 audio. At this bitrate it is best to use a CBR encode over a VBR but you have to make this preset.

If you want to get the best encode send the video to compressor from your FCP timeline, this ties up FCP and Compressor but the encode is the cleanest.

No idea why you cannot burn DL on a MBP, they all had drives that can do it.

Return to posts index

Michael Scichowski, II
on Feb 4, 2009 at 7:23:10 pm

Definitely some clarification! Thanks!

Now the quality of the audio for this video isn't quite so imperative as the quality of the video...

But I am going to assume as far as DVDs go ac3 is the best to go with...

is this a correct assumption?

Thanks Again!

Return to posts index

Michael Scichowski, II
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:46:25 pm

Final Thoughts...

Thanks again for your help and suggestions Michael I appreciate them!

So I am now leaving compressor to bake straight from FCP at a CBR of 7Mbps...

I am going to assume that I am going to take the .m2v file it puts out and lay it on a track in DSP and then is there a setting to change so it doesn't compress it again to the DVD?

I have yet to get onto DSP yet because it is a nice long 7+ hour compression process on the MBP...

As far as it not burning it was either the cheap quality of disk I had purchased to do my test burns on, or a bug... It would error something to the effect of "unable to calibrate laser for unit"

Thanks again! I am hoping by Friday I can mail it off to get dup'ed and then by the next Friday have something for the client to finally sell!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]