FORUMS: list search recent posts

video quality on DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beth Cramer
video quality on DVD
on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:38:16 pm

I have a a film and four trailers that average 4.3GB on a single layer DVD. Total length of the films combined are 75 minutes.
I've encoded some of the elements in compressor and let DVDSP encode others. Encoding it in DVDSP makes the file size larger, but it is crisper especially for the title. The problem is when I burn the DVD the quality of my titles are really rough (actually the film looks bad too). They appear sharp in the DVDSP viewer before I build and burn.

My initial compression settings are:
export QT movie to source then encode it directly in DVDSP and also
exporting into compressor with DVD best quality 90 minute but changing average bit rate to 6.6 and max data rate to 7.8.

How can I keep the titles sharp and maintain good video quality on burn?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: video quality on DVD
on Jan 24, 2009 at 7:03:12 pm

Here is the best workflow for the highest quality. SInce you have a low TRT (75 minutes) set up a CBR encode in Compressor. Make sure you keep frame rate and field dominance the same as source. You can set the bitrate to 7 Mbps. You will also need to encode the audio to ac3 (Dolby Digital) stereo is .192 Mbps.

Instead of exporting the QT movie out of FCP use Export to Compressor, this will tie up your system (both FCP and Compressor for the entire encode but it gives the best encodes from Compressor). When you do it this way your footage does not have to be rendered first.

Return to posts index

Beth Cramer
on Jan 24, 2009 at 7:15:32 pm

I appreciate your quick response. So CBR I'm assuming that's custom?
Is there any setting I should start with and then customize like DVD best quality 90 minute?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 24, 2009 at 7:36:47 pm

Yes, there are no presets for CBR. You can start with any of the DVD video presets, the only difference is the bitrate spread and motion settings in the Quality tab. Change the Motion Est to Good since it does need to find places to lower the bitrate for averaging.

Return to posts index

Beth Cramer
on Mar 28, 2009 at 1:44:01 pm

Michael

When you say set to CBR do you mean quality set to one pass CBR as opposed to two pass VBR best?

here is what I think you reccomended
Average bit rate 7.0
Max bit rate 8.2
motion estimate good

Also under geometry what should my source input cropping be set to?
Custom or 4:3 which does 2 top 2 bottom? does that effect quality in any way?

Thanks,
Beth

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]