FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bitrate for Video on CD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathie Brown
Bitrate for Video on CD
on Jan 23, 2009 at 2:56:00 pm

Occasionally clients request video on CD. We have a client that wants 2 Windows Media videos on a CD along with some .PDFs. What is the optimal bitrate for video on CD? We tried a High Quality 720x480 setting in Sorenson that plays back well on most computers, but stutters on an older PC. Thanks, Kathie

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Bitrate for Video on CD
on Feb 11, 2009 at 9:49:04 pm

First, instead of WMV for video clips on CDs, I'd suggest MPEG1 since it's still the only format that will:
[1] play in any computer media player
[2] on any computer of either platform (Win or Mac)
[3] without installing any software that didn't come with the computer's base O/S straight out the box
[4] import into PowerPoint presentations very well, which is often the reason people want video clips on CDs, rather than DVDs they can't figure out how to get the video off of

Sorenson has a couple MPEG1 presets, but they're harder to find in version 5 of Squeeze ... if I recall correctly, they call them "PowerPoint" presets and/or they're mixed in with the MPEG2 presets.

The optimal bitrate depends on how all-inclusive you want to be in terms of the computers that'll play the files. That said, 1800-2000 Mbps is often accepted as the range that offers decent quality and will still play on just about any computer that has any chance of still being in use. I verified that a few years ago on a quite old test machine we had with Windows 95 and my MPEG1 files played flawlessly.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]