FORUMS: list search recent posts

media

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ed vandenderen
media
on Jan 19, 2009 at 3:29:49 am

When burning dvd's, which seems to be a better choice, -r's or +r's?
and what about various write speeds?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: media
on Jan 19, 2009 at 3:07:55 pm

DVD-R seems to be universally compatible these days. Using a good quality blank media is important as well. I had tried many brands over the years with inconsistent results until I went with Taiyo Yuden. These are the Cadillac of discs, been through thousands with zero coasters/zero returns.

As for burn speed, I have stuck with 8x though the media supports 16x. Burning at 16x is NOT twice as fast as 8x - in reality, it's just a couple extra minutes and a full 8x disc already burns in under 10 minutes. Not saying 16x will cause problems, just a personal choice of mine to play it safe.

Jeff Pulera
Digital Vision

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 19, 2009 at 4:10:43 pm

Yeah I've always had much better luck with -R but perhaps this is nothing more than luck.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jan 21, 2009 at 12:58:02 am

Back in the day we would occasionally have +R media come back to us with problems. Not so much any more. That's probably because we mostly use -R now. Only use the +R when we run out of the other kind because we weren't paying attention to inventory levels. We have a bunch of +R to get rid of anyway.

Taiyo Yuden is the way to go.

We burn at 4x because the dupe towers have, on rare occasions, had trouble reading 8x burns.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]