FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime and Deinterlacing

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Anderson
Quicktime and Deinterlacing
on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:20:47 pm

Hello,

I am at my wits end! Can someone please explain to me how Quicktime handles de-interlacing? I have several different file formats I am trying to put onto DVD via DVD Studio Pro and I am getting horrible interlace artifacts.

At first it appeared that someone scaled the file without respect to the fields and it screwed up the interlacing. I asked for a new version in ProRes format at the correct size. This one, when brought into Quicktime, seems to de-interlace beautifully when the "De-interlace" button is toggled in the properties dialog. The first one didn't.

However, it seems that no matter what I transcode to, weather or not I have selected De-interlace in the Size box of the QT settings on export, the file comes out with interlace artifacts and is NOT de-interlaced. Even when I have asked it to. The fields appear to be gone as reopening it and checking/unchecking the de-interlace box has no effect but you can still see the comb lines.

Does Quicktime have problems de-interlacing specific codecs? I've had problems with ProRes, Animation, and especially MPEG2. I have the MPEG2 codec so can play these files in QT but no matter what, the de-interlace toggle in properties has no effect and exporting them to ANY format even without de-interlacing screws up the fields and causes horrible artifacts.

My initial thoughts were that MPEG2 files were the culprit and that QT doesn't do a very good job with them. It seems it always thinks and reports that they are 640x480 instead of 720x480 which MPEG Streamclip properly shows. Plus it never seems to de-interlace or convert them appropriately as mentioned about. However, now I am STILL having problems with these other codecs.

Obviously all of this causes problems when brought into DVD Studio Pro as it too is screwing up the encoding and display of these files.

I have looked all over the internet to no avail in trying to figure this out. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
Re: Quicktime and Deinterlacing
on Jan 19, 2009 at 10:39:21 pm

Are you deinterlacing for DVD?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]