FORUMS: list search recent posts

My 16:9 movie shows up stretched on HDTVs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shilpi Roy
My 16:9 movie shows up stretched on HDTVs
on Dec 30, 2008 at 3:34:55 am

Hello all,

I've been authoring a DVD of a short film I made, and I've noticed that when I play it on HDTVs that the TV defaults to 16:9 Zoom (which creates the correct aspect ratio). When I put it on true 16:9 (no zoom), the image is stretched. I'm authoring in DVD Studio Pro, and here's the history of the project.

Shot in 1080p
Got a Full res QT that is 1080x1920.
Used Compressor to Encode Mpeg for DVD (did not touch any geometry). When opened in QT the .M2v reads at 720x404.
DVD Studio Pro says the file is 720x480i.

There is no image distortion of any kind on anything until I try 16:9 mode on a TV. On a 4:3 screen it comes up with letterboxing and looks correct.

Did I miss something here, maybe in terms of pixel aspect ratios? or is this a normal occurrence on HDTVs because I'm encoding to SD? I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about this since I don't want to mess up the 4:3 image, but any advice would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: My 16:9 movie shows up stretched on HDTVs
on Dec 30, 2008 at 8:53:31 pm

Try playing it in Apple DVD player. If the window itself shifts to 16:9 then you've made a true anamorphic 16:9 disc. If it plays in a square box with letterboxing you've made a 4:3 matted letterbox DVD. Also check the settings of the DVD player and the TV, some have to be specifically told to play 16:9 as anamorphic.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]