FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony, Duplications and Questions

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Doggett
Sony, Duplications and Questions
on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:04:18 pm

Hello.

I've got a request from a client and I fear a slight minefield; maybe technicaly maybe legally.

Over a year ago we authored numerous DVD projects (Educational language programs) for a client. End result was several DLTs that went to Sony. I think a 1000 copies were made per DLT.

Fast forward to last week and they're decided they need more copies of one of the DVDs. We no longer have this on the system, nor do Sony have a DLT; they get rid of it aftr 3 months, although I understand this policy might have changed since.

The client has discussed this with me and sent me one of the 1000 copies that he has found. We've discussed the possibilty of removing copy protection and getting a disc image that I can produce another DLT with.

My primary question is can Sony do this with ease from one of their duplicated discs?
And if all is well and legal for me to do so instead of them, what is the best root? I don't even know what protection is on the disc going by the box.

Thanks massively,

James

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
Re: Sony, Duplications and Questions
on Dec 16, 2008 at 4:33:35 pm

If you made the original DLTs you 'should' know what kind of protection method was used. If the discs are not encrypted, you can use Gear Mastering to make new DLTs straight form the discs. It's a very simple process.

Max
--
Blu-ray producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Sony, Duplications and Questions
on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:06:30 pm

More important, where are the glass masters?
The plant should have them. If not, they should have informed the client that they were about to be trashed.

Are they going to charge you for new glass masters? I would ask a few questions there...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]