FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor gamma filter adjust over timeline

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jesse jacobs
Compressor gamma filter adjust over timeline
on Nov 9, 2008 at 6:09:30 am

Here is the workflow.FCP>Compressor>DVDSP

I have about 18 thirty sec movies that I have put in a FCP timeline with chapter markers. Then I export a self contained movie. Import into Compressor. Can you then apply a compressor filter, specifically a gamma filter over an FCP self contained movie setting adjustments over time either by keyframe or by chapter marker? Some of my movies are washed out, but none of them are the same levels. So I need to apply various gamma settings to adjust my black levels.

Of these movies they all need more black but some need more than others. So I did a test increasing the gamma levels 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc. Then I review them all and pick which gamma level looks best. But I need to change the level through out the timeline.

Return to posts index

Johan Nordanfors
Re: Compressor gamma filter adjust over timeline
on Nov 18, 2008 at 11:53:22 am

I would adjust each clip in FCP prior to exporting to Compressor.

Return to posts index

jesse jacobs
Re: Compressor gamma filter adjust over timeline
on Nov 19, 2008 at 8:01:54 pm

Yes, Thank you. After trying to avoid making a huge string out of all my movies in FCP due to the huge file size-- I realized it was the best to achieve the best results with the most control.

Basically I have had major gamma issues working with DVDSP. The blacks were not black and everything was washed out. Originally I started importing movies directly into DVDSP. Every test I did resulted in bad washed out gamma shifts. Then I started using compressor for the gamma filter. Supposedly compressor gives better results in general-- but you really need to use the gamma filter. I bracketed the gamma's testing the best for each clip. Once I picked the gamma I would reassemble. But ran into issues with audio sync in the timeline. So then I turned to FCP in the pipeline using the gamma filter in FCP which were the same numbers.

It seems the best method was Source Media>FCP>add gamma filter adjustments in FCP>Export Self-Contained QT with chapter markers>Compressor>DVDSP

This produced the least gamma shifts in general, much less than going directly into DVDSP. Although DVDSP still causes major shifts so FCP gamma filters will give you control.

After that you need to test each gamma on multiple DVD player's and computer DVD to average out the best gamma results. Then pick the best gamma filter for each clip.

Quite a lot of work just to get video to a DVD that isn't washed out. But this way you have total control.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]