FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray player makes standard DVDs better???

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eoin Ryan
Blu-Ray player makes standard DVDs better???
on Nov 1, 2008 at 9:42:16 pm

Hi
Can someone please explain the following. I've been told that if you play standard DVDs on a Blu-Ray player that the player will make the DVD look better?

How does that work?

When I play my standard def DVDs (not bought, but edited in Final Cut Pro and burned using iDVD) on a Blu-Ray player, the image quality looks really bad. It's perfect when played on a standard TV, DVD player.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Blu-Ray player makes standard DVDs better???
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:28:34 am

Kinda depends on the player and the quality of the DVD encode, also what you're displaying it on. On my Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray player playing out to a Panasonic PT-AX200U 720p projector via HDMI, 24p 16:9 standard definitions look sweet. Some awesome- for example Lord of the Rings looks as good as some Blu-Rays. If we're talking 60i/4:3 however or average encodes from iDVD, I'd expect quality to drop mightily. It's pretty much the same as any upconvert- better the source, better the results.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 2, 2008 at 6:02:34 pm

Some players have upscaling capabilities. This has nothing to do with Blu Ray. Several SD DVD players have this now.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 3, 2008 at 1:30:39 am

Yup- some DVD players indeed upconvert SD discs but *all* Blu-Ray players do.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]