FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compatibility problem with iDVD - wrongful encoding?? Help please!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Edinger
Compatibility problem with iDVD - wrongful encoding?? Help please!
on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:50:19 pm

Hi COWforums.

I'm experiencing some rather annoying compatibility problems with Apples iDVD.

I have no problems authoring the DVD itself. But the resulting DVD performs very differently on different DVDplayers.

The DVD consists of an iDVD generated menu with links to three mpeg4 movies (photomagico slideshows exported as 720p mpeg4).

The DVD plays as expected on the computer and on my cheap Kennex DVD player. But on my Sony RDR-Hx910 HD/DVD Recorder it skips the menu and proceeds directly to the second slide show. I tried making a DVD with only one slideshow and a menu and again, no menu but it proceeds directly to the first (only) slideshow.
I've had friends report the same problem back to me when playing on their particular DVD player.

Can anyone help me?

The task seems simple but is the problem iDVD? Is it not able to code the DVD correctly? Or is this just a compatibility/inconsistency problem a have to live with as a home DVD brewer?

I suspect the problem might be the chapters, but iDVD offers no option of altering these?

Any thoughts/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Compatibility problem with iDVD - wrongful encoding?? Help please!
on Oct 29, 2008 at 5:43:09 pm

[Thomas Edinger] "720p mpeg4" This is not a DVD compatible format, there is no reason you should be exporting to this format. I know that was not your question or problem but you going an extra step that reduces quality if that is not your footage's format.

I don't use iDVD but one thing I would try is to put the first play as a movie file before it goes to the menu. Even if it is just a sec on black video that then end jumps to the menu. but I don't even know if that is an option in iDVD.

Return to posts index

Thomas Edinger
Re: Compatibility problem with iDVD - wrongful encoding?? Help please!
on Oct 29, 2008 at 10:32:09 pm

Hi Michael.

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand your idea correctly, and it does make sense, but I'm pretty unsure if it's a possibility in iDVD.

About the 720p mpeg:
I actually did some testing on this part. Fotomagico has different export options and I exported the same slideshow with "for DVD" settings as a .mov and .dv and also tried the HD settings of 720p and 1080p.
Then I imported each of these into an iDVD project with a menu with access to each of the different version of the same movie and burned the entire project onto a DVD in DVD format with iDVD.

I know that the DVDformat is smaller than 720p, but in my opinion the best movie was the HD ones when watched on a regular old fashioned TV with a DVD player hooked op to it. I also tried viewing it on the computer.
In both "testing environments" I find that the HD movies play better and look more detailed and richer in color than the DVD-settings movies. However I don't experience any significant difference between the 720p nad 1080p. This is pretty weird to me as it should be the same deal with all four settings, but to me it's not.

Any thoughts are very welcome...

Thanks,

Thomas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]