FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any leads on automated dvd authoring program?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Mueller
Any leads on automated dvd authoring program?
on Oct 28, 2008 at 3:22:46 pm

Hi everybody,

I work in a government access TV station, and I'm looking to streamline the workflow. One big part of our process right now is burning DVDs of our mastered programs. For the last six years or so, we have been doing it the old fashioned way, playing the master tape and recording it into stand alone DVD recorders.

We are about to do some upgrades. including shared storage for our editing systems, and a new playout server, all networked together. I'm already looking at adding a dedicated system running squeeze with a watch folder to create the mpeg-2 files for the playout machine, windows media files for our web site and whatever other files elected officials might request, then ftp them to their final destinations.

I need to make this entire process easy enough that both our long-time (read still have trouble with non-linear) employees and our newest interns can grasp quickly, because right now I do more training than editing.

I would like a DVD authoring program that I can import one or several mpeg2 files and it will take the file names and make just the most basic text menu. A template with a background image for branding purposes would be a nice addition, but not mandatory.

Any ideas? I have done an extensive search and have not found what I'm looking for.

Tony Mueller
Senior Editor
STL TV

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Any leads on automated dvd authoring program?
on Oct 28, 2008 at 3:55:42 pm

Nothing like that I've ever heard of.

Most authoring tools are pretty easy to use. I find it hard to imagine a seasoned editor or even an intern who has spent 4 years studying would have a problems learning and using any of them.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 29, 2008 at 3:14:07 pm

Try "Rocket DVD", I can't find their website by Googling but found a dealer here:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/partnerstore/products/dmard.html

I have demo'd the product in the past and think it might suit your needs

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Tony Mueller
on Oct 30, 2008 at 8:36:16 pm

Thanks Jeff, I did a little searching myself and found the company that makes RocketDVD... Digital Media Applications dmapp.com

It looks like Rocket DVD is pretty close to what I'm looking for. I just don't know if it will take files or if it has to capture the video as part of the process.

I also found that Squeeze will burn the encoded mpeg2 files to a video DVD, but it does not work in conjunction with a watch folder, and it may not be compatible with all DVD players, because it doesn't seem to write the long lead-out you need on short projects.

Tony Mueller
Senior Editor
STL TV

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 30, 2008 at 9:28:23 pm

Hi Tony,

I did get demos of Rocket DVD and worked with it a bit myself and you can add the video files, you don't have to capture. Once you add the files, the rest is automated (chapters, menus, thumbnails, burning, printing).

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]