FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bart Winckers
NTSC to PAL
on Oct 27, 2008 at 4:52:23 pm

Hello,

i need to convert a 23,976 HD feature to 25 SD PAL. I am having problems with the frame rate.(I guess I am not the first...)

First i used frame blending to keep the original length. This looks pretty ok but there are a lot of softer frames in there.

Then i used motion estimation in compressor, which rendered very long, looked very good for predictable shots, but is horrible with faster moving scenes.

Then I read on this forum to just change the frame rate interpretation, this would make the movie shorter, but I would not have the blended frames, i would have to pitch the audio though. Can you use this method for feature film?

Which of these methods are used in the professional film world? Or is there another method?

Thanx,
B

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: NTSC to PAL
on Oct 27, 2008 at 4:41:35 pm

Kind of an iffy way to do it, I'd suggest this for better quality:

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.ht...

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bart Winckers
on Oct 28, 2008 at 12:23:54 pm

thanx, i will check it out. Altough I allready noticed it converts from 24 to 25, not from 23.976 to 25. But maybe thats no problem.

Bart

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Oct 27, 2008 at 9:26:21 pm

If you are doing a film out, then it makes no sense to do a PAL master. (It did before HD was widespread.) Your HD 23.976P master can be played at 24P by pulling-up 0.1% during the ingest at the film recording facility. An HDCAM or HDCAM-SR VTR will even take care of correcting the audio during playback.

I would avoid doing any conversion through software or hardware means, as the slightest conversion artifacts or motion judder will be very visible on the big screen. You already have the right format to go to film.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bart Winckers
on Oct 28, 2008 at 11:59:36 am

Yes, for projection the format i have now is ok, but i need to make screening dvds to post to festivals in europe.

Thanx for the response

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:30:20 pm

Standards conversions are not typically done in software, like you're describing. You will get the best quality with an Alchemist conversion which is a real time tape to tape transfer.

Max
--
Blu-ray producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]