FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with freeing up disk space on the encoding target drive?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sorin Mihailovici
Issue with freeing up disk space on the encoding target drive?
on Oct 13, 2008 at 7:52:12 pm

Hello friends

I am stuck with a big problem and I have a couple of questions.

I am creating a DVD Studio pro project and I thought I was done, but when I tried to format it it said: "Insufficient disk space for encoding. Free up disk space on your encoding target drive".

Now, the problem is that I have 15 GB free on my hard drive! How is that not enough? How do I free up space?

Just to give you all the details - maybe it has to do with that - the project has 7.8GB and I am trying to burn/format it on a Double layer DVD (8.5GB). I tried to delete a couple of files, it went down to 6.4GB, but still gave me the error message. What's the trick?

The second question has to do with another project that is over 4 GB and it has to be burnt on a double dvd. This time, at the end of encoding, I receive a message that says: "A suitable marker couldn't be found in the required layer break page". What do I do wrong?

I have the projects due in a couple of days and I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Smith
Re: Issue with freeing up disk space on the encoding target drive?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:54:19 pm

Sounds like you know how to set your project to dual layer (under the Disc/Volume tab), that's a pretty beefy size for a dually, but if you add more chapter markers, it might be able to find one. They can only be set at a chapter point. Also if you have Final Cut Pro, there might be a ton of hidden files in your render folder that is taking up space.

Return to posts index

Sorin Mihailovici
on Oct 17, 2008 at 12:21:15 am

Hi David

unfortunatelly, I still don't know what to do after your answer. Should I add chapter markers? I didn't put any in the first place...Should I have added chapter markers from the beginning, in Final Cut - and where? I have 10 files on my project - where should I put the chapter markers? Sory... a little confusing...

On the other hand what do you recommend to do with the rendered files that you said might take space? Can I delete some? How would I clear up space on my encoding target drive?

Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Smith
on Oct 17, 2008 at 5:03:05 pm

I think I was thinking you were doing this in DVD Studio Pro, sorry about that! But yes you do need to add chapter markers if possible in Final Cut. I never use that to make DVDs so I'm not sure if you can or where you would do that. Dual layer break points can only be set at chapter markers so you gotta have them. And the bigger your project, the more you will need cause it has to be able to figure out where to split the files to fit on the DVD. You have a lot of data going on that disc (remember dual layer discs say they'll hold 8.5 GB or whatever, but in reality it is a little less). And look in your render folder inside Final Cut Pro highlight Final Cut Pro in your application window and click on that little icon up to the left and it will say "show package contents" and you can go into MAC OS and find Render files, it's somewhere in there. Might even invest a few bucks in the program "What Size?" and it will sniff out all your files and tell you where the big ones are hiding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]