FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Quality

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tara Cauchi
DVD Quality
on Oct 8, 2008 at 1:42:45 pm

I've been given a .mov of a 10 min animation that looks amazing. my boss need ot present this today on a dvd however when i burn the dvd through DVD studio pro it loses it's amazing quality and crispness. Why doe this happen and what can i do to make it look as amazing or as close as possibe?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD Quality
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:13:26 pm

Try going through this tutorial first. Also let us know where the video came from- is is H.264, DVCPROHD, DV, MPEG-2 ???

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/first_play_warmouth.html

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tara Cauchi
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:29:09 pm

I know how to use DVDSP-

I'm wondering about quality. The project was exported from FCP to Quicktime Movie using Sorenson 3 codec- this ended up being about 2.3G

However I exported using compressor to m2v highest bitrate possible and it looks of lesser quality- and it only ended up being about 600MB.

When I just drop the .mov in DVDSP it is of even worse quality

Is there some way to keep the quality and the large file size through compressor and still make it a mv2?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:27:07 pm

Why Sorenson 3? That's a highly compressed codec for the web. You should be exporting directly from the footage's native camera format or uncompressed animation format to Compressor for MPEG-2. That was why I linked to that tutorial because it shows that workflow. MPEG-2 is MPEG-2 it can only look so good and can only be so big as you'll see in Compressor. But you definitely benefit hugely by feeding it the least compressed source footage and that's definitely not Sorenson. Maxing out the bitrate accomplishes nothing if the source is already lossy.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Tara Cauchi
on Oct 9, 2008 at 9:10:44 am

No I think i've confused you.

The .mov that is great quality was exported by the animator with the Sorenson 3 codec. It's file size ended up being about 2.5G

When i exported the same project (orignal FCP sequence) using compressor to mpeg 2 it loses so much more quality even with the bit rate being 8.9 and 2pass VBR. Is there a way to keep the quality level that the .mov had?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 9, 2008 at 2:21:44 pm

The issue may be that you are watching the original animation on the computer, which uses RGB color and can reproduce vibrant, high-resolution graphics. NTSC can't reproduce the color resolution or sharpness of a computer display, it will never look as good.

I'd be careful about the DVD data rate also, 8.9 is pushing the limits and could cause playback issues on some players. There is a point of diminishing returns - the viewer would probably never see a difference between material encoded at 7.0 vs. 8.9

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 10, 2008 at 9:55:10 pm

yeah 8.9 would produce an unplayable disc. 7.9 is the absolute limit to get a disc that will reliably playback on a variety of players. And again- as I said above you do not want to start from Sorenson 3 as your originating codec on your way to MPEG-2. To get optimum image quality have the animator re-output as either uncompressed 10-bit or at least ProRes HQ. Put that into a high quality MPEG-2 preset in Compressor and it will look as good as it can with Compressor.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]