FORUMS: list search recent posts

What do I send to replicator for CSS DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Aubry
What do I send to replicator for CSS DVD?
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:50:59 pm

I used to send masters on a tayouden DVD.

Now, there's no way I can burn a DVD with ccs, Gear master says my .img image dont have 2048 sector size, obviously. Can I send an img file image?

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
Re: What do I send to replicator for CSS DVD?
on Oct 2, 2008 at 11:36:57 am

Hey Patrick, CSS images must be formatted at 2056 sector size. When the CSS keys are applied they use the extra sectors for key storage.

What authoring software are you using?

Check with your replicator and see what formats they accept for master submission, and go from there.

CSS needs to be submitted via DDP files, CMF or DLT. Those are your only options for CSS submission. The replicator can not use an image file(img, iso, etc) for replication.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:15:28 pm

Maybe this has changed more recently, but my understanding was that to use CSS you had to submit the project on DLT tape.

The truth is, any 10-year-old with a FREE ripper program can copy a CSS disc in 5 minutes anyway, so I don't worry about copy protection on DVDs I produce. If someone is determined to make an copy, you can't stop them.

Of course, if you must have CSS for some reason (client request), then pay no attention to me. If this is for a dance recital or something, then save your money. Print warnings on the disc, that is free.

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Patrick Aubry
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:44:17 pm

Yep It's a client request I can do. It's child play to copy I know but, most of the my client's customer are no even close to be computer literate.

His any DLT tape work work well for the duplicator? My old software work well with mine, at least. Its a Quantum DLT VS-160.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:50:33 pm

You should contact the replicator and make sure they accept DLT's written with that model in combination to the type of DLT you are writing to.

If they accept DDP on DVD-R you may want to consider that as an option as well. However I don't know what software you are authoring with so it may or may not write your project to a DDP image.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 3, 2008 at 2:39:32 am

Its silly NOT to include CSS. Your replicator should be providing his for free. Yes, its easy to defeat but you'd be surprised how many clueless people there out know how to copy DVD for their friends but have no idea what a ripper is. :)

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Oct 3, 2008 at 8:36:42 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "my understanding was that to use CSS you had to submit the project on DLT tape."

Jeff,

It has changed. Several authoring tools allow output of the DDP files to a hard drive. DVDSP and Scenarist are the two I know for sure that can. The resulting files can be burned onto a DVD and many (most?) replicators can and will replicate from these data discs.

Not that this method isn't without peril. There are several experts that recommend against it.

One possible problem is that the replicator will make thousands of perfect copies of the DDP files. Not good. Make sure you clearly label the disc to indicate that it contains DDP files. Doesn't hurt to make sure that your sales person at the replication house acknowledges they clearly understand what you are providing as a master.

Dave

Return to posts index

Michelle Young
on Nov 6, 2008 at 3:18:40 am

The best way is to submit your dvd-r in dvd-video format without worrying about setting the CSS flag. A company call New Cyberian can work from a vanilla disc. You can also send them in DDP 2.1 (sector size 2048, not 2056) or DDP 2.0 (sector size 2056) format. But my experience dealing with them is a simple DVD-Video on DVD-R. Other formats will complicate the situation.

Check this article, http://www.newcyberian.com/howto_add_css.html.

The company does offer pretty good prices on DVD duplication or replication too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]