Transferring problems - video (VHS) to DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malte Aronsson
Transferring problems - video (VHS) to DVD
on Oct 1, 2008 at 8:09:48 am

Hi all!

I have a delicate problem here:

I have recorded films, i.e with family, while travelling, etc and put them om VHS video cassettes.
These are a bit bulky, so i thought to transfer them again onto DVD's.

Here is the problem: I have a VCR/DVD recorder built in one, PHILIPS DVDR 3510V.

So... I load a cassette into it's tray, and a recoredable DVD-R into it's tray into the machine.

Then, when I try to dub the film from the VCR to the DVD, the idiot machine says the VCR cassette is copy protected (!!!) - and the recording will be paused. It records about 4 seconds only, then cut. The DVD disc is then ruined and can't be used any more. This is a lot of annoyment, also having the feeling, - will the recorder ruin another dvd disc for me, if I try another VCR cassette?

(Well, I have got some DVD RW discs now in order not to ruin any further DVD-R discs).

I know I have never placed any copy protection on any of the VCR cassettes and I haven't removed the little thing at the end of the cassette either. But this isn't important as I am copying from the VCR and not to it.

I wonder, why does the machine give these type of errors? It must be errors, the cassettes have never been copy protected.

Also I have some films I have recorded from TV, but the machine give the same error.

I wonder if someone out ther have any idea to get around this. May be a software to add into the machine that will crack all copy protection signals, or whatever.

thanks anyone!

Mal

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Transferring problems - video (VHS) to DVD
on Oct 1, 2008 at 8:44:37 am

the Copy Protection warning is most likely the player thinking it has MacroVision on it which is a copyright protection that is added to retail VHS (and DVDs) that prevent unauthorized duplication of their titles. If this machine will play the tapes fine when you are not trying to record them and this is what is kicking in when you do. Why it is doing this is a question for a service center. Normal equipment like this has no way for uses to load software or firmware to them.

Not sure why trying different tapes and ruining a couple more DVDs would be a big deal, DVD-Rs are between 20 and 35 cents.

Return to posts index

Malte Aronsson
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:34:41 am

Well I live in Sweden and here the dvd's cost something like $1.20 each... if you buy them in racks of 25 or more (!)
You know, Sweden is overtaxed....
May be I could buy them from you... ha! ha!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:44:30 am

well I just purchased 100 Maxell DVD-5 for $40!

I remember when all we had where Authoring DVD-R for $30 a pop and flakey Sonic system, could go through $150 buck worth in a blink of an eye.

Return to posts index

Malte Aronsson
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:38:53 am

In any case, someone told me to try to connect a other VCR player to the machine I have and see what happens.

Also, I have heard there is a device that could be placed between the the other VCR player and my machine that actually will eat up all signals that shouldn't be there, also it will clean the sound and film a little. But have no idea of what's the name of that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]