FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malte Aronsson
Authoring DVDs
on Sep 21, 2008 at 8:05:42 am

Hello!

I am new here at these forums. First of all, I couldn't find a forum that best would describe my problem or issue, but hopefully there is someone out there who could guide me on to the right path...

When I record a film on my dvd recorder, I understand the file format the dvd recorder makes are .vob.

When I make a recording thru ShowView or timer, more often than not the recording will have annoying advertisements in the beginning and the end of the film, and sometimes, depending on TV station, the films have advertisement intermissions too.

Of course, advertisements of this type are of no use to anyone, they are just annoying, which makes me and everyone else want to edit or author the dvd. When uploaded to the computer, the outcome are a multiple of .vob files in the video ts folder.

As I have understood, the .vob-files are not editable as they are (or am I wrong?), they have to be converted to .mpg-files first. When this is done, there's no problem to cut out the ads from the files and make new files. There are many nice freeware programs who does that job right.

Now to my question: Before burning the authored files back to a new dvd, I presume the files have to be converted back to .vob first. Or am I wrong about this?

I have searched the internet over to find a program that convert from mpg to vob, but haven't found any at all.

Now I wonder - may be it isn't at all important to convert the mpg files back to .vob ? Or will the burner programs do that by themselves? The program i use is Roxio Burn CDs and DVDs - "C:Program FilesCommon FilesSonic SharedSonic CentralMainMediahub.exe" .

I wonder if someone could guide me in the right direction here, I am new at these things.

1000 thanks in advance for a prompt and rapid reply.

Many kind wishes and greetings to you all from Göteborg, Sweden!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Authoring DVDs
on Sep 21, 2008 at 3:19:38 pm

Um hmm- what you're asking about is kind of an illegal subject as you're making DVDs of copywritten material. That said, you'd be a lot better off recording your movies to a more editable format, and then chopping out the commercials and then making DVDs. DVDs themselves are very hard to edit as they are not meant to be edited. Try something like this instead:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videorecorder/

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:53:52 pm

The key is getting some sort of a DVD Ripper. You might want to invest in something good like Cinematize for PC (sounds like you are a PC guy). That will enable you to rip the DVD into some sort of high quality video file like an MOV or an AVI. After that you could use something like Quicktime Pro to do some simple editing to remove the ads. Then some sort of software to make a DVD out of that edited file. You might be able to find some free ones out there. If you just want to rip them to watch on computer or iPod I'd recommend a free program called Handbrake. That makes pretty nice files you could edit in Quicktime Pro which is only 30 bucks. Best thing for iPod viewing and it is free.

Return to posts index

Malte Aronsson
on Oct 1, 2008 at 7:50:02 am

No, I just want to make a new dvd to use for watching on TV. That's all!
So there isn't any good freeware or shareware software around that you know of?

All the best,
Malte

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2008 at 8:47:34 am

Google "DVD Ripper" or "DVD DeMuxer"

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:37:09 pm

Sadly I don't think there's much out there for ripping, editing, and burning back to DVD in the way of Freeware. You'll have to spend a little money for that I'm afraid. I have looked and all the free stuff seems to be crappy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]