FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD authoring program used for Hollywood movies etc

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Hanzon
DVD authoring program used for Hollywood movies etc
on Sep 14, 2008 at 8:06:53 pm

Hi, I'm currently working at a film/video school in Stockholm, Sweden and we're nowadays getting into bigger and bigger productions that will end up on DVD's for mass publication.

The program we've been using so far for DVD authoring is Adobe Encore CS3 (along with the other Production Premium CS3 programs to make menus, transitions etc) but we're finding that Encore isn't really stable enough to use on these higher end DVD's that are usually heavy on material.

We've started looking around at different programs to use, and I was curios to know what is proffessionally used by studios etc. for the really big budget movies such as those from Hollywood, for example. Because I can't imagine they use a program like Adobe Encore.

So do you know what they use?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD authoring program used for Hollywood movies etc
on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:01:10 am

Most of the Studio Titles were either done on Scenarist or a priority system from Toshiba.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:08:19 am

Take a look at Sonic Scenarist for Authoring and Cinema Craft for encoding. A lot of studios use highend encoders but this the combo listed about you can do anything you need to at a quality that can rival anything out of Hollywood. But Scenarist has a much higher learning curve than Encore or DVD Studio Pro. These are the top of the line for professional use for the masses.

http://www.sonic.com/products/Professional/Scenarist/quicklook.aspx

http://www.omni-cinemacraft.com/products_cinemacraft_encodermp.shtml

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Sep 20, 2008 at 12:06:25 am

Also... new SD Scenarist + SD CineVision bundle is pretty affordable.

Max
--
Blu-ray author/producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

David Mackenzie
on Oct 18, 2008 at 3:29:42 pm

Has anyone here used a Windows encoder called TMPGenc? The company has branched out and is making various consumer-friendly versions, but if you buy/try the original TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 from them, you'd probably be shocked at the quality of the results and the control given over the encoding. It goes at bargain basement prices, too. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has compared the quality of its output to Sonic Cinevision. Certainly it compares very, very well to CinemaCraft.

BTW, for authoring: the studios do have other proprietary systems too. Sony use their own in-house one.

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Oct 18, 2008 at 9:30:14 pm

Correction: none of the Sony companies use proprietary compression systems. Sony Pictures uses Blu-code which is for sale and is used at our studio. Sony DADC uses a range of encoders, all of which are commercially available.

Max
--
Blu-ray producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

David Mackenzie
on Oct 18, 2008 at 11:20:55 pm

Max: interesting, thanks. I was actually referring to the authoring system Sony used for DVD, rather than the encoder. Querying the implementation identifier on just about any Columbia title will return "SONY DVD VIDEO"; which I've been told is a system that is strictly for internal use only.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course!

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Oct 23, 2008 at 11:07:16 pm

The only system I know of from Sony is Blu Print which isn't prioritory.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]