FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very long burn times in DVDSP4 via FCP

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyge Floyd
Very long burn times in DVDSP4 via FCP
on Sep 3, 2008 at 10:18:08 pm

I know my Mac is aged a bit considering what is the "latest, greatest" offerings by Apple but should it take 4+ hours to burn a 45min DVD? I export from FCP 2.0v with chapter markers, build the DVD in DVDSP4 with a play all button plus buttons to 8 chapters, nothing fancy.

My "old" machine:
Dual 2.7Ghz PowerPC G5
2.5 gig RAM
OS X 10.4.11

Would more RAM result in faster render times, faster DVD burns and exports on FLASH/MOV files?

I can't afford a new machine, but will consider adding RAM if you think it will significantly help.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
Re: Very long burn times in DVDSP4 via FCP
on Sep 4, 2008 at 1:46:27 pm

Does it take 4 hours every time you burn the project or just the first time. DVDSP will need to transcode your FCP QuickTime files to mpeg2 prior to muxing and then burning. This could take a while the first time but after that DVDSP should use the MPEG2 files in the MPEG it creates from then on out.

My suggestion is to use Compressor to encode your videos to mpeg2 prior to importing into DVDSP.

More RAM will not speed this process up much faster. You have plenty right off the start.

Also make sure you are not using these files over a network that can slowdown the mux time considerably.

-Luke

Return to posts index

Tyge Floyd
on Sep 4, 2008 at 3:41:38 pm

It's the formatting part of the burning precess that seems to take forever. I export from FCP in QT format then create my menus in DVDSP. Are you saying it would be faster to encode the footage in Compressor and import the MPEG files into DVDSP?

Files are ll on an external FW800 hard drive, so no network.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on Sep 4, 2008 at 5:20:08 pm

When you say Formatting is slow are you saying it takes 4 hours to burn your disc or 4 hours from the time you press the Build/format button?

the log should say what stage it is in.

Using compressor first to get your mpeg2 files will speed up the process of transcoding in DVDSP. DVDSP will not transcode if your files are already in mpeg2 format. It will only mux and then burn.

The formatting process is just the process of burning your disc.

The proper workflow should be:
1. Encode using compressor to mpeg2 from QuickTime
2. Import mpeg2 into DVDSP and author your project
3. Use build/Format Build will create the Video_TS directory, format will be the burning of your disc

See if that speeds things up. Also Build to your local hard drive. Even though Firewire 800 is fast I have found that it can slow things down.

Return to posts index

Tyge Floyd
on Sep 4, 2008 at 8:52:53 pm

I just completed the same project with much better results by exporting from FCP into Compressor, then importing those files into DVDSP. Overall it saved me about an hour or maybe a little more.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]