FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replicated DVD not working?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Smith
Replicated DVD not working?
on Sep 1, 2008 at 4:38:12 pm

I have authored a DVD for a client and it was sent for replication. They have had several complaints that the disc stops at various points during one of the presentations. When I watch a copy of the disc from the replicator, it plays fine with no stops/stalls/issues. It is something that I cannot seem to recreate in my studio or home.

I authored the disc using Apple's DVD Studio Pro. It is a Dual layer DVD. I sent a Master disc to the client for review and to the replicator, per the client instructions. Now that they have began distributing them, they are getting customer responses.

I cannot seem to isolate, recreate, or find any issues. Any ideas? I suspect customer DVD players and/or a replicator error (of course it is nothing that I have done!). I would appreciate your input.

Alan

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
Re: Replicated DVD not working?
on Sep 2, 2008 at 12:18:12 pm

Did they provide you with any sort of Eclipse log or any errors encountered during pre-mastering? I would ask for any such logs.

What is your encoding bitrate for the video that stutters? Is it possible that you encoded too high?

Did you burn with DVD-Studio pro or with Toast?

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:09:23 pm

I was not provided an eclipse log or any other quality control from the replicator. I have an email into the replicator for such a log.

The bitrate when master was set to not exceed 8.0.

The disc was mastered and burned in Studio Pro. I did not use Toast.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:15:55 pm

If you still have the encoded mpeg2 please run it through the Bitrate Viewer: http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm

See if it does in fact cross over the 8mbps max you had set. DVD Studio Pro should not mux if it is too high, but it may be right at the maximum tolerance and thus added with your audio may be having problems in some players. What type of audio are you using? PCM WAV or AC3? Just a thought, not saying this is the issue. Something to try though while you are waiting from a response from your replicator.

-Luke

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:52:47 pm

This was my first thought. 8 Mbps second is dangerous especially when used in a VBR and if you have not used ac3 audio you are slamming up to the bitrate limits. Different players are more prone to playback problems than others so unless you can get a list of the players that are producing the problems or you have ton of different players to test it made be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

This maybe late but I never encode m2v much over 7 Mbps. I want a safety cushion and I normally don't see much of a difference between 7-8 Mbps. Compressor is know to give spikes especially with VBR.

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on Sep 3, 2008 at 1:26:44 pm

Hi Alan,

It sounds all too familiar, what you're describing.

I've recently posted an article on my site that discusses what is no doubt, a 'mini DVD pandemic' going on, and has been going on, out there with replicated titles, due to holes in replicators' quality control regimens. Here it is, if you're interested:

TFDVD Research Labs' Breakthrough DVD Check Disc Proofing

You can try going to your replicator and ask them to check for problems on a sampling of your run. The Eclipse report will show as passed, in these cases, however, so no help there. The replicator will also cite their faulty 'passed' bit-for-bit' compare tests to show their not at fault.

You'll have to depend on your clients' relating of all the customer complaints to help nudge the replicator to start physically testing a sampling of the run. They're not going to readily do this, however, as it can take a bunch of time.

Or, you could engage third party CATS physical testing of several of your discs yourself; but that's expensive (over $1,000) and still not guaranteed to move your replicator, I've found.

Of course, I offer a service that's guaranteed (sorry about the commercial). If it's your fault, we get it fixed, if it's the replicator's fault, they redo the run for free - or no charge.

As for your bit rate, as long as the video and all the audio streams in any VOB fall under 9.8 mbps, then a properly manufactured DVD will play in players just fine.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVD Verification, Proofing, Pre-Mastering

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Sep 3, 2008 at 6:28:14 pm

I have ran bitrate viewer against the mpeg2 video that is causing the issue and posted a screen grab of the data. I would appreciate any/all critic of what you see.

http://media317.com/upload/mark_1/bitrate-viewer-dvd.gif

The audio was encoded AC3.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on Sep 3, 2008 at 7:31:44 pm

Your link is not working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]