FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD menu functions on some DVD players,...not on others

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Charnock
DVD menu functions on some DVD players,...not on others
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:42:34 pm

Hi guys,

Just want to say thanks for all the help this forum has been to me over the last year. But now I have a problem it can't solve...

My client has asked for (against my suggestion) to have a MENU system that mimics his website. What this means in brief, is there are many menus each with many buttons (my overview diagram is a complete mess...). I created the menu's using "layer menu's" with a separate PSD layer for the activated state of each button (there are aprox. 25 buttons on the biggest menu's)

To the Point:
I programed everything so that it works perfectly. All button and links doing what they're supposed to. I tested it on my Mac, a PC, and our 2 DVD players (Sony and a Panasonic), and everything was perfect.

However when I gave the DVD to the client to approve for duplication, he claims that non of the menu's work... Confused I had the marketing company I was working with test the DVD as well...same problem.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the client is losing patience and I am completely confused as to why a DVD won't work on certain DVD players...

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD menu functions on some DVD players,...not on others
on Aug 21, 2008 at 9:38:36 pm

DVD menus made from layered files work fine in hardware DVD players, but software DVD players have the "auto activate" button function disabled. This means that the viewer will not see the button state change unless he click on it. A second click is needed to execute the button. A DVD menu that needs to work correctly in software DVD players need to be built with an overlay.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Ross Charnock
on Aug 22, 2008 at 5:12:33 am

Thanks for your response.

By "software DVD players" I'm using you're referring to PCs/Macs. If so then what you've said is correct.

However the client is wanting to DVD to only work in DVD players as they have a flash CD as well.

So my question remains; why would the functionality of the layer menu's not work in some (set top) DVD players when it works in others.

THanks,
Ross

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:17:40 pm

Another thing to watch out for is that certain brands or models of DVD players are known to not execute all aspects of the DVD Spec as "faithfully" as they should.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:24:57 pm

Some other thoughts:

1. Certain brands or models of DVD players are known to not execute all aspects of the DVD Spec as "faithfully" as they should. This is not too much of a problem with newer units, but it does crop up in older and cheap players.

2. If the laser in the player is weak, it will have trouble playing DVD-R discs correctly or even at all. If a DVD player plays replicated discs fine but has trouble with DVD-R discs, this is most likely the cause. I've seen lasers go bad in name brand players in as little as 6 months of use.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]