FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpg to DVD problems

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Ogden
mpg to DVD problems
on Aug 20, 2008 at 5:15:35 pm

I have a 3.7GB mpeg file of a wedding video that i need to put on DVD, what is the best way to do this? I have tried nero and run into multiple errors and constant crashing, it would only let me do the DVD video disc from nero express, which needed DVD files, so i converted the files with VSO DivXtoDVD which was recommended to me by a friend who is always doing this kind of thing. I burnt it onto DVD fine (the only one that worked) but when i looked at it, it was unbearably jumpy, and that wasn't just my filming, i compared the original and converted files and they were noticeably different, there were black areas that flashed every so often. Any suggestions? What would be the best way to get this onto DVD? I'm thinking it could be something to do with the frame rate or something? I'm in England so i guess i need PAL format, it was filmed with a miniDV camera in 16:9

Things i have tried:
DVD Architect - ran into errors
Nero burning ROM - constant crashing
Nero Vision - Has problems with the file type
Converting to DVD and using Nero - worked, but horribly jumpy.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: mpg to DVD problems
on Aug 20, 2008 at 5:44:39 pm

Maybe try Encore or DVDSP on the mac side. Your question is very broad so its very hard to determine the specific issue. Better yet, find someone in your area who is experienced with DVD.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:12:03 pm

Hi Jonathan,

More info would be helpful. What NLE software do you use, how did you create the MPEG-2 file?

First, the MPEG-2 file must fit the parameters for use on a DVD, so should have been created using a template or preset for DVD video.

Second, the MPEG-2 file cannot simply be burned to a disc as data - this does not create a playable DVD. It *may* play on a PC because it will recognize the video file and try to play it, but it will NOT play on a set-top DVD player.

The MPEG-2 file must be put into a DVD "authoring" program, where it is converted to various files and formatted for DVD Video and the resulting files are burned to DVD in a specific way to be DVD-compliant. Even if you don't want menus, the MPEG-2 file must still be run through an authoring program.

This could be Adobe Encore, Ulead, Sony DVD Architect, etc.

Please share more information about your workflow in order to get the answers you need

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
http://www.sharbor.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ogden
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:17:23 pm

Thanks guys, should've been more specific, i made it with Sony Vegas.

My brother took the files to his computer and burned them with Winavi then straight to DVD, it worked fine, I'll be trying that on my computer, thanks for the help! The other version is only a half hour video as apposed to 2 and a half, so it should have no problems with a program like dvd architect, it shouldn't need to compress it. Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]