FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have a dvd that has 2 VOB files with the same name - causing problems

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Milner
I have a dvd that has 2 VOB files with the same name - causing problems
on Aug 18, 2008 at 12:39:32 pm

I have a question that we're hoping that you've seen and have a work around to. I have a 2 DVD set that the client has made using Roxio. Unfortunately, we can't get the client to use another software.
I've noticed that in the root of each DVD there's a folder named "ROXIOPLASMA" along side with the VIDEO_TS folder. I'm trying to add my company's copy protection to the disc, but for the copy-protection to work, we can't have to remove Roxio folder in there. I tried re-authoring the disc and that's when the problems happen.

We tried the software Magic DVD Ripper and we got an error saying that there was an error with the video order. So we opened up the VIDEO_TS folder on the master disc and there is 97 sets of IFO/BUP/VOB files. We have found that the last 2 files on the disc are both named VTS_97_1.VOB. One of the files is 475,088 KB and the other is 32KB.

We believe that this is what is causing all the problems with re-authoring the discs because of the two file names. I can make an ISO of the disc, but this is still contains the additional Roxio folder. I tried using a software called DVD Shrink, which uses ISOs to remaster DVDs and I get the same "re-allocation of the video files" error.

Any ideas, I can upload the ISO for you to view, or if you need a screen shot I can provide anything else that might help you.

Thanks,

Clint

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
Re: I have a dvd that has 2 VOB files with the same name - causing problems
on Aug 18, 2008 at 8:03:21 pm

It's impossible to have to VOBs to be named the same on a disc. Not sure how this disc was authored? How are you planning to re-author? The contents of the disc should be brought onto your desktop first - It should be as simple as deleting that Roxio Folder - its not letting you trash that folder?

Also, how are you adding copy protection? This can only be done at a licensed replication facility.

Best just to de-mux all assets then re-author the disc from scratch.

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Aug 19, 2008 at 8:22:47 am

Hi Eric,

I have taken screen-shots of the 2 DVDs I've been talking about:
http://www.alpha-duplication.com/vob.JPG
http://www.alpha-duplication.com/vob1.JPG

I do work at an authoring/duplication house, and that's why we're trying to add copy protection, but for the copy protection to work, we can only have a VIDEO_TS folder in the root of the DVD, and as you can see from the screen-shots, there's the second Roxio folder that I mentioned before.

When we try to re-author the disc, the process fails because (my thoughts) of the VOB files that are named the same.
The client has submitted the masters this way, and he cannot author the DVD any other way.

There is no way to copy the DVD files to the desktop because of the naming problem, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before and/or has a work around.

Many thanks,
Clint

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:57:49 pm

Hmmm...That VIDEO_TS folder should simply be dragged to your desktop. What does your system say when you try this?

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Aug 20, 2008 at 9:52:44 am

It responds as you'd probably expect. It copies the large VOB file, and then it says, "A file with this name already is located in this directory, would you like to replace the file?"

Pressing Yes or No gets you to the same place. A VIDEO_TS folder that only has one of the matching VOBs.

Then when you try to re-author the disc, (we use Gear Pro Mastering, or Nero) it fails because it can't find the other VOB.

Very strange.

Clint

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:19:18 pm

That VOB file is only 32K so there's nothing there. Just drag everything over except that small VOB file. Besides you'll need to extract every asset and re-author the disc anyway. The client probably doesn't have a clue how to make a DVD so it would probably be best to use their original assets to re-author that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]