FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automatic highlighting of consecutive buttons in DVDSP

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan West
Automatic highlighting of consecutive buttons in DVDSP
on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:20:41 am

I am creating a very basic DVD the latest version of DVD Studio Pro. One menu, 12 buttons. It's a basic training DVD and what the client needs is for button 1 to be highlighted when they start the DVD (no problem there), and when that video is complete and they return to the menu, button 2 is highlighted and ready to go, and the same down the list of 12 buttions. This seems like it should be easy but I can't make it work. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
Re: Automatic highlighting of consecutive buttons in DVDSP
on Aug 13, 2008 at 2:30:57 am

Hi Megan,

The trick is simply setting each of your Tracks End Jumps back to the Menu and to the next button.

So, when you set the End Jump for a Track, continue with your mouse in the pull down menu until you land on not only the menu, but the appropriate next button, then let go.

Or, better yet, get to know the Connections Window which lets you make all your jump target settings for the entire project, or each particular Track/Story/Chapters or Menu objects at a glance, by dragging the Menu's button from the Target Window into a Tracks End Jump setting in the Source Window, in this case. You can also right (control) click in the Connections Source Window where the Targets are deposited to get the familiar drop down target menus, if you'd like.

Let me know if that's not clear.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com

Return to posts index

Megan West
on Aug 13, 2008 at 4:25:32 am

Many thanks Trai, for the clear and helpful information!
Megan

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on Aug 13, 2008 at 5:05:04 am

Great Megan,

Now, may I ask; what are your remote control Menu key targets going to be for each of your Tracks?

Hint (if you need one): it's not the same target as each of your Track's End Jump settings.

Let me know, if you'd like,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com

Return to posts index

Megan West
on Aug 13, 2008 at 5:15:20 pm

Hi Trai-
Most of my clients deploy their projects online, so I rarely use DVDSP. I haven't used the track or editing options because I do all that in Final Cut. I just make a few buttons and drop in the files from the assets I've imported.

What I really need is a step by step on this question in a "DVDSP for Dummies" format. If you have time, I would certainly appreciate a walk though.

Thanks-
Megan

Megan West
Ten Feet Tall Media

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on Aug 14, 2008 at 7:24:16 am

Sorry Megan,

It's 3:19 AM here and the day is (was? :-) still going.

Did you get the idea of 'targeting' the individual buttons of the menu? If you set a Track (or other Menu button, or Marker or Story) to Jump to a particular button of a menu, not just the menu, that button will be selected when navigation arrives at the Menu.

Here's the short answer to my question on the Track remote control Menu settings:

Usually, the remote menu key should always target the last menu and button the user was on before jumping into the Title (Track). So, in your case, I would set the remote menu key for each Track to target the menu and the button that launched the Track, not the 'next' button as you're setting it for when each Track finishes.

Good luck with your project. For sure though, I'd recommend thinking about stacking the deck on this one by teaming up with someone that's been around awhile and have them walk you through, and check your encoding, audio, startup and other settings, etc.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]