FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help making sure I meet festival specs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Van
Need help making sure I meet festival specs
on Aug 9, 2008 at 2:10:48 am

Hi,

I need to send some DVDs to Sarajevo film festival and need to be sure I'm meeting their specs.

They request:
Resolution: 720 x 576
Format: DVD PAL / NTSC (Region 0 or 2)

I'm authoring in DVD Studio Pro, via Final Cut and Compressor.

I'm confused first of all about the resolution... can I change the resolution of SD DVDs? I only see display mode options.

For format, if I just do an NTSC export and make sure I have all regions checked should I be good to go? If I send them a PAL safety do I simply flag my Compressor export as PAL and burn PAL in SP?

I hate not being able to check what I send.

Thank you for any help!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Need help making sure I meet festival specs
on Aug 9, 2008 at 3:10:32 am

The resolution is what PAL is, NTSC is 720x480 on a DVD, no way around that. If they are saying that NTSC DVD is fine and your movie is NTSC I would stay with that. Converting NTSC to PAL can be done with compressor but get good results is another thing. Also if you don't have a PAL player and TV you really cannot check to see what you are really sending them. (A computer can play a PAL disc but it also can mask encoding issues.)

Region 0 makes the disc playable in every region so it is the safest way to go.

Return to posts index

Katie Van
on Aug 9, 2008 at 5:16:17 am

Thank you, I will stick to NTSC then. I don't see any region 0 in my DVD SP options, or in the manual. I'm hoping that selecting all regions will do it. Do you know of another place to check in Studio Pro for region 0?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:51:06 am

It is the default, but there is no actual Region 0, it is just want you get when all the regions are checked.

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:13:20 pm

90% of DVD players play NTSC around the world - I'd suggest sending a PAL DVD and an NTSC DVD, and suggest using the NTSC one. Even if a foreign DVD player is pushing out a PAL-resolution signal, chances are it can play the NTSC DVD.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 12, 2008 at 4:32:33 pm

Sorry Tom, I have to disagree, if you send both there is no telling which they will use. I'm not against telling someone to make a PAL but there is more to it then just checking a box and encoding a PAL version. Without the proper setup to proof it you are sending a blind version. Since they list NTSC as an acceptable format, my advise is to keep it simple and just do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]