FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer doesn't recognize dvd's

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julian wier
Computer doesn't recognize dvd's
on Aug 6, 2008 at 5:50:17 am

I have a PPC Mac. I insert a dvd and get an error message the computer doesn't recognize the disk. I can open and play it however with VLC. I can also copy it to another unreadable disk with toast. I would like to find a way for my computer to recognize the file and more importnatly find a way to extract parts of the video. I should mention too that these are not commercially burned dvds.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Computer doesn't recognize dvd's
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:54:44 am

As for not playing (with DVD software) I would see if there is something strange about the Folder/file layout. Is the Video TS folder on the root level of the disc. Also have you tried to play the Disc with the DVD Player by doing to the Open Video TS folder under file?

Does this disc work in a set top player?

Return to posts index

julian wier
on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:57:44 pm

The computer doesn't recognize the disk so I can't access any sub directory whatsoever. The only way to play it is with VLC. I've tried uploading a selection of new codecs without success. Someone suggested I replace/upgrade the DVD reader.

The disks do play on standard DVD players.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:31:24 am

if the computers doesn't recognize the disc how do you open the file in VLC

Return to posts index

julian wier
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:36:20 am

When I insert the disk into the computer I get the message; 'The computer does not recognize this disk. Eject or Ignore' I hit ignore but VLC has an open disk command and it plays it. Toast recognizes it as data and can copy it to another unreadable disk and Disk Utility can see it but obviously can't fix the problem.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 12, 2008 at 6:37:03 am

The disc is not formatted correctly. DVDs need to be done as a UDF so if you are using the copy feature of Toast it is passing on the problem to the new disc. You may try to see if you can get to the disc's Video TS on a PC, if you can copy that you should be able to make a correct DVD. Can toast make a img file to your HD?

The strange part is that this disc works on set top players.

Return to posts index

julian wier
on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:38:43 pm

I tried on a PC but it won't recognize the disk either. Toast can create an image file but still doesn't recognize the format. I believe other macs can see and play these disks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 12, 2008 at 4:43:55 pm

Your only goal at this point is to get the Video TS folder copied to a hard drive, anyway you can. Once you have it you can burn a proper DVD.

Using Toast one way to set it up is DATA > DVD ROM (UDF) making sure the VIDEO TS is on the Root level. Make sure there are no .lay or .layout files in this folder.

or the newer versions of Toast can do it under VIDEO > DVD-Video from VIDEO TS folder (this method automatically removes any files that are not suppose to be in the Video TS folder.

Return to posts index

julian wier
on Aug 14, 2008 at 1:45:06 am

'Your only goal at this point is to get the Video TS folder copied to a hard drive, anyway you can. Once you have it you can burn a proper DVD.'

Absolutely. But I can't do that. Toast doesn't see the Video TS folder. It recognizes it as iso data. I copied the contacts and it replicated the problem. I created an image and that does the same thing. But the fact a set top DVD player can read it indicates there's a sub director that should be accessible.

BTW Thanks for your help with this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]