FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro seamless play issue

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristel Schmidt
DVD Studio Pro seamless play issue
on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:53:05 pm

Hello!

I'm in the midst of a bit of a DVD Studio Pro disaster here. I have been given the infinitely simple task of burning a DVD from someone else's project - something that one should be able to do in one's sleep, but I seem to have missed something.

I am working in DSP4 and dealing with a project that was made in DSP2. There has been already one DVD-5 made of the project, but I had no access to it and was supposed to burn a new one to pass on to the Boss. The guy who made the project has created a separate track for a "play all" DVD that contains ONE 90-minute file, and a separate track where the same 90-min file is separated into chapters. "This is pretty silly, bumping the file size up to 8.0Gb instead of 4.0Gb and requiring a dual-layer that we don't have" I thought, killed a track, relinked the play all button, and proceeded to burn a DVD. (Wouldn't want to drop the bitrate much more at this point.)

The problem is that the DVD does not execute "play all" seamlessly. It stops at every chapter point, trying to figure out what to do next, and proceeds in a second or two. Makes sense - it's not the DVD player's problem there's a "return to" command to look at.

I thought I could fix the problem by creating stories, but it looks like the commands (say, "return-to") attached to the stories are no different from the ones attached to chapter points. The DVD player still stops at every chapter point, thinks, and proceeds then.

There must be an elegant and extremely easy way around this. I've used Sonic ReelDVD and Scenarist in the past and don't remember this being an issue. Perhaps I just haven't worked on a project where seamlessness has been crucial.

Is it possible to separate a movie into chapters, allowing for chapter play (via a submenu), and yet play back the file in its entirety without chapter hiccups (via the "play all" command)? Or is it one of those things that just sucks about DSP, which is why everybody uses, say, Sonic Scenarist? Can't be.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD Studio Pro seamless play issue
on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:13:16 pm

Sure- you just set chapters and then call each chapter from a menu. DVDSP should then keep playing from that point on. Unless there's something wrong with the track it's playing.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Kristel Schmidt
on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:19:41 pm

Yup - seems easy enough and that's what I did. (I have a main menu with "play all" and "chapter selection" and a submenu for the chapters.) The problem is that when I select play all, it plays all the chapters nicely but at each chapter point, the DVD player seeks for a half a second before it proceeds to play the next track. Unfortunately I cannot fade in/out at chapter points given the nature of the footage so I end up with an ugly still floating around for 15-30 frames.

Return to posts index

Kristel Schmidt
on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:29:26 pm

By the way, when viewing in chapter mode, the disk is supposed to return to the menu after the chapter. That is what's causing the hiccups.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 1, 2008 at 7:56:05 am

Play all should just be the entirety of the track- i.e. there's no point in using chapters or stories just play the video track itself. Now- if the chapters are not sequentially ordered then of course there's no way around a seek time. Not quite sure what the issue is.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Kristel Schmidt
on Aug 1, 2008 at 2:39:23 pm

I want a DVD that will PLAY ALL chapters (one single track with chapter points) sequentially with no seek time at chapter points. When selecting individual chapters from the chapter menu, it is to play that single chapter only and then return to the chapter selection menu.

What I was experiencing was that the chapters were playing fine individually but when I selected PLAY ALL then there would be a pause (seek time) as it passed from, say, chapter 1 to chapter 2. Hence, PLAY ALL function would not play the entire movie seamlessly.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 1, 2008 at 3:48:19 pm

You'll need to make 1 track for your play all, then use stories for each chapter index. There should be NOTHING on each chapters end jump setting.

Return to posts index

Kristel Schmidt
on Aug 1, 2008 at 4:09:22 pm

Yeah, that's what I tried to do.

I made another test project from scratch, using a different video file, and everything worked flawlessly. No hiccups.

I must have missed something in the original project - the chapter's end jump settings were clear, but it still acted like there was something there.

Return to posts index

Mike Schmidt
on Aug 1, 2008 at 4:07:56 pm

sounds like maybe something was wonky with the original.

might be best to start from scratch as per:
http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_dvdsp4_playall.html

http://creativefrequencies.com/nocore

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 1, 2008 at 5:52:50 pm

Yeah...that was going to be my next suggestion...To start over. Sometimes things can go crazy :)

Return to posts index

Bob Douglas
on Aug 1, 2008 at 6:16:19 pm

Did you check ALL the settings in the Inspector window for each Chapter? In particular "Playback Options" the default is WAIT = None.

Bob Douglas
FX Productions
http://www.fxpro.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]