FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to create a blu ray disc image in Toast 9

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Watts
Is it possible to create a blu ray disc image in Toast 9
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:25:39 pm

Hi, I've been asked to create an in and play blu ray disc image from hd quicktimes. The duplication company has the burner so I can send the iso image or whatever it may be over to them on a drive.

I haven't been able to find out yet if Toast 9 supports disc image creation aand if there's any issues/problems with certain types of source files etc. HAs anybody got any experience with this at all?

Cheers

N

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Is it possible to create a blu ray disc image in Toast 9
on Jul 17, 2008 at 4:38:42 pm

[Nick Watts] "Hi, I've been asked to create an in and play blu ray disc image from hd quicktimes. The duplication company has the burner so I can send the iso image or whatever it may be over to them on a drive.

I haven't been able to find out yet if Toast 9 supports disc image creation aand if there's any issues/problems with certain types of source files etc. HAs anybody got any experience with this at all?

Cheers

N"

This might be of some help to you:

http://www.callboxlive.com/resources/?p=124

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Clay Walker
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:53:13 pm

Hi Noah,

I have to say, I just ordered this drive from MCE and I did want to relate my initial experience with my shipment. I haven't actually been able to use the drive yet so this is more of an installation comment than on the drive itself...

I've never ordered from this company, but I have heard of them, so I don't exactly have an opinion of them - yet.

While MCE clearly states on their website that the drive "comes to you completely pre-configured for easy user installation" for your Mac Pro, that isn't exactly true in my circumstance.

I have a Mac Pro that I purchased in January 2008 and this drive does not fit the existing Apple cables. The strange thing about the MCE drive, is that its ribbon connection board on the drive itself is to the far left and it is apparently connected with several layers of double stick foam tape...

Since the ribbon cable is over on this side like this, and the original optical drive in the Mac is on the far right, the second Apple bay ribbon connection will not reach. And even if it did, it would probably pull the connection board off because it is apparently holding on with tape.

I called MCE about this and they apologized and said it was a known issue and they said they would send me an extension cable. I feel like this is one more thing to cram in when sliding this back in.

And, instead of simply connecting the Apple power supply cable to the MCE optical drive, the MCE drive has a power splitter with two power connectors that leaves yet another extra power connector that will be unused to stuff in to optical drive area as well.

I tried using the installation disc MCE sent me to install the drive, but unfortunately they sent me the install disc for the external drive and not for the internal drive which I had ordered. Also, there are no installation images on their website either for installing the internal drive into a MacPro. That makes me curious.

I called MCE back and they apologized for this.

I then thought, "well I'll at least install Toast while I wait a few more days to actually install the drive."

The toast software arrived in the form of a MCE burned disc with a paper label with a zipped file on it. The serial number is stuck on the back. I tried to install the blu ray plug in which comes with the disc, but unfortunately MCE did not include the serial number for that.

I called MCE back and they apologized and I going to call someone who is going to eventually email me the serial number for this.

So, I am basically stuck right now as I can't install the drive and I can't install the software. I had a client wanting to do a quick blu ray project this week but I have told them they would need to find another vendor at this point as I was simply not ready to do anything...

MCE asked me if I wanted to return their drive for a refund but I really don't know as I haven't been able to actually use it yet and I really don't want to eat the shipping costs of shipping it back and having to order another drive from someone else and paying yet more shipping costs.

All I can say is that I am really kicking myself for not ordering a drive from Other World Computer - because looking on their website their blu ray drive does not need all of the additional cabling - and simply downloading the software from Roxio directly.

My primary interest in the MCE drive was that it claims to be 6X speed even though there are apparently isn't any 6X media at this date... The drive comes with a piece of 2X media.

I am curious if what I have described above is sort of a normal, yet somewhat difficult installation or should I send this back and try something different?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 30, 2008 at 4:11:50 am

I'm beginning to wonder if I've made the same mistake.... but

I have installed the MCE bluray drive in my G5 PowerPC and it seemed to go in fine. I had the same issue with the HD-BD plugin installation key not being supplied, but it was emailed to me within 24 hours of complaint. I haven't tried burning anything to it but it does seem happy in the system. I replaced the original SuperDrive, and so used the bluray to install the software which, aside from the missing key for the plugin, went fine.

I will be holding my breath all the way on first burn! At $22+ per disc, it doesn't allow for many mistakes!

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Clay Walker
on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:22:25 am

I did want to follow up on this.

I did finally have the additional cabling & serial number sent to me. I had some jumper conflict issues but I do have the drive & software properly installed.

I am glad that MCE did finally respond to email & tech support issues.

I can't say that I am impressed with any aspect of my transaction with them but hopefully the drive will work without any further issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]