DVD/data hybrid disc?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Noes
DVD/data hybrid disc?
on Jul 11, 2008 at 3:49:17 pm

Basically, we need to create a DVD that will:

1. Play in a standard consumer DVD player
2. Play on a computer with the ability to link to websites/email addresses within the DVD menu

What approaches/softwares will best accomplish authoring a disc with these capabilities? We have Macromedia Director MX 2004 and will buy Director 11 if need be. We have Adobe Encore CS3, which we would like to avoid because its design capabilities seem limited.

We have a Sony demo disc here which does what we're looking to do. The disc has video and audio TS folders in its root, as well as what appears to be director 11 files.

Is it possible to create a disc that plays as a DVD (using the video and audio TS folders) when put in a dvd player, but plays as a data disc (launches director .exe) when put in a computer? In this scenario, the DVD version would contain no email/website links, but the director .exe for computer playback would contain these links.

If this is possible, does director 11 have this capability? Do I need additional plugins to author the disc in this way?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD/data hybrid disc?
on Jul 11, 2008 at 5:04:53 pm

You can put anything you want onto a disc- it's just media. Some of that can be video_ts that would be viewable on a DVD player, and some can be computer files that can be flash or even web pages. Whatever you want...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Noes
on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:31:37 pm

Noah,
Thanks for your reply.

I see that I can indeed combine dvd video and director content on a disc. The problem that I'm running into is that when I put the disc into a computer, it plays the DVD content rather than using the autorun file to cue up the director .exe first. Is there a way around that?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:38:41 pm

Not really- as this depends on the user's configuration which is typically to launch the DVD player as soon as a disc is inserted. There are some players on the PC side that will handle this but they're not cross-platform. The simplest method is to simply include a menu screen with instructions for accessing the DVD_ROM content. i.e. double click on the disc in your desktop and go to this file... etc.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]