FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some dumb questions about DVDs and TVs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kendall
Some dumb questions about DVDs and TVs
on Jul 1, 2008 at 7:48:40 pm

There's a few things that I never really had to think much about until today. They're probably pretty basic, but I'm just not sure, so I'll risk asking some dumb questions to find the answers:

1.) If you make a progressive DVD (i.e. 480p instead of 480i) can it be played back on a Standard Def TV (one that came before 480p), and if so, would there be any strange effects (like strobing, etc)?

2.) Do you have to have a progressive scan DVD player to play back 480p or will any DVD player play it?

The reason I'm asking is because we have a DVD we're putting together that included both video we shot (720x480i) on miniDV and screen captured footage from a computer (1024x768 progressive). It's more important that the computer footage look as good as possible and already squishing it down to fit standard def is causing some loss of quality, but not too bad. When I tried exporting the video as interlaced the camera footage looked fine, but the computer capture looked terrible and completely unreadable.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Some dumb questions about DVDs and TVs
on Jul 3, 2008 at 7:38:46 pm

[Shaun Kendall] "There's a few things that I never really had to think much about until today. They're probably pretty basic, but I'm just not sure, so I'll risk asking some dumb questions to find the answers:

1.) If you make a progressive DVD (i.e. 480p instead of 480i) can it be played back on a Standard Def TV (one that came before 480p), and if so, would there be any strange effects (like strobing, etc)?

2.) Do you have to have a progressive scan DVD player to play back 480p or will any DVD player play it?

The reason I'm asking is because we have a DVD we're putting together that included both video we shot (720x480i) on miniDV and screen captured footage from a computer (1024x768 progressive). It's more important that the computer footage look as good as possible and already squishing it down to fit standard def is causing some loss of quality, but not too bad. When I tried exporting the video as interlaced the camera footage looked fine, but the computer capture looked terrible and completely unreadable.

Thanks."

24p 480p 16:9 anamorphic DVD is the most universal format there is.

On a 4:3 tv it will play with letterbox. On a 16:9 monitor it will play full frame. On 24p compatible displays it will play full 24p progress. On 60i TVs it will play at 29.97 with automatic 3:2 pulldown. The folks who came up with the DVD specifications were pretty smart about all this...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]