FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dvd Studio Pro: Jittery final product

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukas Agelastos
Dvd Studio Pro: Jittery final product
on Jun 29, 2008 at 4:17:23 pm

Hi everybody, this is my first post here.
Thanks for reading.

I am totally clueless as to what I am doing wrong here. I have read numerous forum discussions and web articles, but to no avail.
I have been having this problem for ages and kept reverting back to using iDVD, but the final product was pretty bad and I need the final DVDs to look as good as possible.

After finishing editing a video in FCP, I compress it with Sorenson Squeeze and then use DVD Studio Pro to author.
The final file plays back well on my Mac's computer screen but jitters and "strobes" a bit really annoyingly on a TV, especially in slo-mo scenes and in scenes with effects.

I am shooting weddings with a Sony PD170 and a Sony V1 (the latter in SD, though).

I capture with FCP's Log and Capture using an old Panasonic palmcorder, with DV Pal 48 Khz Anamorphic. My Sequence Preset is the same.

I am exporting from FCP using File/ Export / Quick Time Movie, with Current Settings, Chapter Markers and without Making the Movie Self-Contained.

====================
In Sorenson Squeeze my settings for a short movie, high-quality DVD are:
Format Constraints: DVD (Mpeg 2)
2 pass VBR
Max VBR 7812, Avg 5859, Min 3735
Frame Rate 25
Field encoding: Progressive
Audio Codec MPEG Layer 2 Audio, 160 Kbps, Sample size 16, Rate: 48000, Stereo
Total Data Rate= 9726 Kbps
=================

DVD Studio Pro settings are as follows:
Preferences/ Encoding:
Aspect ratio 16:9
Field order Auto (have tried Top as well= same results- I have also tried Bottom= Same results)
Two Pass VBR - I have also tried One Pass (same results)
Bit Rate 5.5 Mbps
Max Bit Rate 8.0 Mbps
Motion Estimation: Best

I build the project onto the HD
Toast 9
Video / Video_TS folder
I burn with Toast.

I thought this must be a fields issue. In FCP's Audio/ Video Settings, the DV Pal 48 Khz Anamorphic preset, which I use, has Field Dominance: "LOWER (even)", but I used "Top" or "Auto" in DVDSP. But even after switching to "Bottom" in DVDSP, I had the same result.
Please note that I have also tried this whole workflow without the Sorenson Squeeze step and it still doesn't make a difference.

Please help me out here. I don't know what to do anymore.
Thank you in advance.

A frustrated wannabe DVD author.

---
Lukas

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Dvd Studio Pro: Jittery final product
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:51:13 pm

Make your video and audio in Compressor, never Squeeze. Here's a tutorial to show you a way to do it that should result in a better playback:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/first_play_warmouth.html

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Lukas Agelastos
on Jul 2, 2008 at 6:46:36 am

Hi Noah,

thank you very much for your reply.
I will try what you are suggesting.

However, Squeeze and Compressor don't seem to be the problem- as I stated in my post, even when I leave the Squeeze step out completely, the results are the same. It must be something to do with fields.
The quality of the DVD is very good apart from that annoying "flicker" or "strobe". For instance, when the camera pans the groom from bottom to top, it is as if it stop and goes or as if it kind of doubles up every half second. It is difficult describing it.

Thank you for reading.

---
Lukas

Return to posts index

Nick Watts
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:34:12 pm

Sounds like you've exported your mpeg2 in squeeze with the wrong field dominance, that always makes the moves oyur taalking about appear stroby. If you've made it in DV, use lower field first. That should sort it out. If not choose higher field first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]