FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top and bottom of film cropped when playing in DVD player - please help

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Whitaker
Top and bottom of film cropped when playing in DVD player - please help
on Jun 14, 2008 at 5:41:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope there is an easy answer to my question. My main problem is that I have been trying to get some edited footage onto a DVD using iDVD software. This works fine when played on Windows Media Player but when inserted into a DVD player the bottom and top are cut off.

When I burn the disc, it also brings up a warning: 'You are burning an NTSC movie onto a PAL disc' - although I am exporting it as PAL.

Do you think it could the the aspect ratio I am exporting from Final Cut? My settings are:
Compressor: DVPro50-PAL
720X576 Aspect Ratio DV Pal 5:4 (would square be better?)

Also a couple of other questions (if you know iDVD well) H264 and the Animation compression do not burn in iDVD although i have found that DVPro50 does but the quality isnt great. Do you have any other suggestions for compression or is it a case of testing? I have been told iDVD is not very good at burning 'I-frame compressions'.

I am pretty new to this so please use layman's terms!

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, regards
Laura

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
Re: Top and bottom of film cropped when playing in DVD player - please help
on Jun 22, 2008 at 6:37:57 pm

So your DVD is formated for 4x3 screens? If so, all televisions overscan the image, so you loose the outer 5% or so of the picture. That's why when you shoot and edit something for television, you make sure you're action is in the action safe area. The "cutoff" you're seeing will happen on all TVs. When you're looking at this on a PC, no overscan cropping occurs, you see the full frame.

Videographer/Editor
Creative Director
Union Digital, Inc.
http://www.uniondigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]