FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray Birth Pains

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Johnson
Blu-Ray Birth Pains
on Jun 6, 2008 at 5:31:43 pm

How long before DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro work seamlessly with Blu-ray? The FCP suite has me spoiled, i don't want to buy specialized software!

Does anybody have any compatibility issues with some raw media not working in some burners and not playing on some players? Are the different pieces (raw media, authoring, burning and playback) stable and reliable with consistent results or is there a matrix of what it takes to easily and reliably author blu-ray discs

You old timers will know what i mean!

It seemed like years before raw media, software (authoring and burning) and hardware for CD's was stable and reliable.

It seemed like years before raw media, software (authoring and burning) and hardware for DVD's was stable and reliable. At the beginning of DVD authoring, you needed $10,000 worth of software and a DLT drive to make even simple DVD's.

Will the Blu-Ray genesis be any easier?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
Re: Blu-Ray Birth Pains
on Jun 6, 2008 at 6:48:39 pm

Will the Blu-Ray genesis be any easier?

Nope. Were right back where we started.

Return to posts index

Frank Johnson
on Jun 6, 2008 at 8:16:27 pm

Has anybody made blu-ray discs with Encore?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 6, 2008 at 8:40:38 pm

I've heard very mixed reviews about Encore and sadly it's the only game in town for Blu-Ray with DVDSP. Hopefully someone else will step up to the plate soon now the HD-DVD died.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

nick van der Grinten
on Jun 6, 2008 at 10:37:37 pm

Was going to post a similar thought/question, and saw this thread...

I started with Astarte before Apple bought them (got it years ago, from Trai Forrester before he became a guru) and have been using DVDSP since then, but now need a reliable Blu-ray authoring system. Was about to buy Encore, but saw that it doesn't allow scripting, which seems to undermine one of the key strengths of even SD DVDs, forget about Blu-ray.

Is there a stable, vouched for, authoring system out there that allows scripting? Scenarist? Not that I'm crazy about scripting - just want to do simple things like random plays etc.

Nick

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Jun 6, 2008 at 11:54:29 pm

Other than Scenarist or Blu print, which will cost you a bundle, you might want to to check out Netblender's tool.

http://www.netblender.com/

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jun 7, 2008 at 3:25:41 am

I recently got an email from Sonic asking me to participate in a survey to see if we would be interested in a "simpler streamlined" solution for bluray authoring. (we had recently gone to their Burbank offices for a demo of the full scenarist bluray package at $80,000). yeah we would be interested in something "simpler"...
so maybe they will make something more reasonably priced and easier to use. you basically need a java programer on staff to fully implement bluray spec with the big program.

Paul Provost
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 7, 2008 at 3:53:05 am

Actually you'd be surprised how easy authoring a title is. Your certainly don't need to know Java to author an HDMV title. BD-J is another story but very few titles on shelves are BD-J. I personally don't see a big future for BD-J based on the time and costs in developing a unique title. The real issue is the costs. Check out this blog:

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/525

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jun 7, 2008 at 7:13:30 am

I just think they (bluray spec group) may have "jumped the shark" on this one. they pushed the cost so far past sd dvd that they made a "build it and they will come" except nobody did. it seems nobody cares. download and broadcast is growing faster than hd on disk. either people don't care about the superior quality, or they will wait until the quality is truly better (in home 4-8k projectors?).
I wish it wasn't so as I make my living at this stuff, but hd on dvd seems doa...

Paul Provost
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Frank Johnson
on Jun 7, 2008 at 3:08:02 pm

I think your crystal ball is right on the money. DDTV (Direct(or Digital) Download TV) will eventually take over the home market but that will take at least 5 years.

IMO a couple things will have to happen: In the near future, 80% of the new TV's purchased will have a CPU included. For DDTV to take off, the monopoly of the cable companies and satellite companies will have to be broken. Movies from some guy in Hong Kong will be downloaded directly to the 52 inch plasma with integrated CPU hanging on my wall. Imagine how many choices there will be when that happens!

Also highband width / omni pervasive wireless will have to be more available. I understand there is some military technology almost ready to trickle down to us.

These things will take at least 5 years to become mainstream.

For years, in the beginning SD DVD was massively unstable and hugely expensive for anybody but large operations. Slowly the prices came down and SD DVD became cheap and easy to produce.

My prediction is that it will be another 2 years before blu-ray is as easy to produce as SD DVD. It will have a 5 year run before it starts to die in the home market.

Will the corporate world still see the value in a tangible media delivery item? Blu-ray may die for the home user but the corporate world may still need them.

Return to posts index

Frank Johnson
on Jun 7, 2008 at 3:48:50 pm

Thanks for the article Eric. Great info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]