FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cramming content onto a SD DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Goodman
Cramming content onto a SD DVD
on May 29, 2008 at 6:06:05 pm

Greetings,

I've done a search in this forum for an answer to my questions, but I must be using the wrong search terms. I have a client that has four DVCAM tapes filled with conference lectures. He wants me to put each of the tapes onto a single SD DVD. That is, about three hours of content per DVD.

I've never actually authored a DVD that long, and I told him that if it was even possible, the compression needed would make the video look pretty bad.

My questions are: Is this even possible?, is it worth it?; if it is possible, what compression scheme would be best recommended.

I haven't seen the footage yet, but I imagine it's of the locked-down-camera-with-an-occasional-pan type ... But I'm not sure.

I would be using FCP and DVDSP 4 with Compressor.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
bfg

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Cramming content onto a SD DVD
on May 30, 2008 at 5:01:11 am

Sure you can always set a very low data rate. Just comes down to how low image quality you can stomach.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

George Wing
on May 30, 2008 at 11:28:42 am

[Brad Goodman] "He wants me to put each of the tapes onto a single SD DVD. That is, about three hours of content per DVD."

Can the "single" SD DVD be a dual-layer disc (DVD-9)? If so, then that should fit nicely.

Even if the client wants Single-layer (DVD5), it might not look too bad if you have an excellent quality source video, and the subject matter doesn't have much movement (as I suspect is the case with the lectures).

The best thing to do is to actually try a small section encoded at the proper bitrates to fit the ~3hours onto your target discs. I would use AC3 audio, and considering the low bitrate you will have to use for DVD5, I might even try Half-D1 resolution (352x480 for NTSC).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Craig Youmans
on May 31, 2008 at 3:50:14 pm

I would use double-layer DVDs.

Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]