Scenarist Bug Object Design Simulation Window

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
duncan dettmer
Scenarist Bug Object Design Simulation Window
on May 29, 2008 at 4:16:08 pm

Hello!
I was wondering if you could help.
One of our Scenarist workstation has for awhile been unable to simulate due to a bug known as the 'OBJECT DESIGN' fault.
I've had no responce from Sonic just yet and Google searches draw a complete blank.

With any scenarist project when you try to simulate we get a OBJECT DESIGN box appear and the simulation window is black. You have to click on the OBJECT DESIGN window and you can see a image in the SIM WINDOW. You can't do any button nav or basicaly anything, its either stays as a black screen or crashes. You find yourself clicking between the OBJECT DESIGN box and the SIM WINDOW and nothing working.

The graphics card is a Matrox Parhelia 128mb. The OS has been wipped many times and we are still getting the fault. Today I reinstalled a clean XP pro with SP3, no other sofware, installed scenarist 3.2 and booom! OBJECT DESIGN fault. I've tried new display drivers and the oldest build on Matrox's website, no difference.
I've also removed the gfx card and installed another Parhelia 128mb from a spare machine, removed, reinstalled drivers and scenarist. Still no luck.

click here to see image

Thank you.

Duncan

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
Re: Scenarist Bug Object Design Simulation Window
on May 29, 2008 at 5:51:02 pm

Does it happen in hardware or software simulation? One other thing I'd try is downgrade to 3.1 and see if you're still getting it.

Max
--
Blu-ray author/producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 29, 2008 at 6:58:54 pm

We had to downgrade from Scenarist 3.2 back to 3.1. We were getting a runtime error when checking the premastering box in the layout tab. I guess 3.2 got released a little premature since there have been other problems that have arose. See below, straghit from Sonic support.

"A conflict with the Frame Grabbing module has surfaced which causes Scenarist 3.2 to crash. Please disable frame grabbing, (Note:this will likely disable Software Simulation), by renaming the file “ScenaristDVDNav.dll” in the target folder to something else like .old and also renaming the files in the “Filters” subdirectory. Then launch Scenarist again and find out if it’s more stable.

As stated, Frame Grabbing (and Thumbnails) won’t work.

We apologize for this inconvenience, please know that Sonic is researching this issue."

Thanks Sonic!

"

Return to posts index

duncan dettmer
on May 30, 2008 at 8:18:41 am

We have tried using scenarist 3.0, 3.1 & 3.2, with old display drivers and each build with new display drivers. Rebooting between each install/reinstall ZZzz ZZzzz ZZzzz. No luck.
We need to run 3.2 to fix a RipGuard bug, but lets not discuss that.

Thank you.

Duncan

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 30, 2008 at 3:09:33 pm

Are you trying to install 3.2 or 3.2.1?

Return to posts index

duncan dettmer
on May 30, 2008 at 3:14:08 pm

Sonic Scenarist SD 3.2.1

Thank you.

Duncan

Return to posts index

Craig Youmans
on May 31, 2008 at 3:43:47 pm

Duncan,

I had exactly this problem with software simulation. Sometimes Highlights would show and sometimes not.

I removed "Norton Internet Security 2008" and this fixed the problem. I now use Pctools "Spyware Doctor" with antivirus as a replacement for Norton and Scenarist 3.2 is working fine (so far).

I think Norton considered the "object design" to be a pop-up and somehow blocked it which causes Scenarist 3.2 simulation to malfunction.

I do not know if other antivirus programs such as McAfee will work with Scenarist or not.

I do not think it has anything to do with graphic card drivers or XP service pack 3.

With out Norton, Software simulation works for me.

The Hardware simulation does NOT work properly for me.

Hardware simulation always starts at chapter 1 regardless of which chapter has been selected from the menus. The SPRM page shows the correct chapter number but my video always starts at chapter 1. Have you had this problem?

Sonic told me it was a known bug.

Lets face it. Scenarist is certainly not worth the price Sonic charges for it. The absence of goodies such as an animated button generator or a menu creator certainly reduce its appeal. Its heavy handedness and the lack of an UNDO feature is shameful.

Scenarist is like Windows "Notepad" sold for the price of "Word for Windows".

In my view Scenarist should be rewritten and made much more user friendly. Hopefully Sonic will some day get the idea.

Craig

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 31, 2008 at 6:00:00 pm

Not sure I can agree with that last statement. If you can find another spec tool, I like to hear what it is. Some titles require a spec tool and Scenarist is all thats available. I do agree that the interface is a little clunky...and undo would be nice as well :) What do you mean by animated button generator? Why would anyone design menus in Scenarist?

It's 5K these days. If you need a spec tool you really have no other choice. If you have the amount of work required to afford a system then it surely is worth the money.

Return to posts index

Craig Youmans
on May 31, 2008 at 6:27:57 pm

Sonic knows they have the market share and as you said there isn't much else out there that can offer DVD authoring down to a cell level with such great control.

However, Scenarist needs more user aids included in the interface.

I also use Fusion (eyeonline.com) which is a high-end video compositing and special effect software. It costs $5,000.--(US$ five thousand). Working with fusion is like driving a Rolls Royce compared to a very average car that is Scenarist.

Generally, as you said, you would not design menus in Scenarist. None-the-less, time is often of the essence and a few built-in features would make Scenarist more pleasant to use and perhaps accelerate the authoring process.

I have used Scenarist for a number of years now and certainly will continue to use it in the future. Hopefully one day they will improve the interface.

By the way did you have the "object design" problem?

Craig

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 31, 2008 at 6:50:37 pm

Nope...knock on wood :)

Return to posts index

duncan dettmer
on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:22:00 am

Hello.
Thanks for that, we have symantec installed on all our workstations. Two work fine, one occasional has the object design failt and one does not work.
No answer from Sonic Support yet.

Thank you.

Duncan

Return to posts index

duncan dettmer
on Jun 2, 2008 at 10:56:17 am

Well...removing symantec client security seems to have fixed this fault.
A big thank you to the COW community.

Thank you.

Duncan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]