FORUMS: list search recent posts

professional dvd authoring?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
professional dvd authoring?
on May 24, 2008 at 1:31:51 pm

I have a job this summer and my client wants DVD's that are professionally authored and can't be duplicated. i.e. dvd's like you would buy in a store. How would I go about creating these dvd's or is there a company I can get to do this? Thanks for any ideas.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
Re: professional dvd authoring?
on May 24, 2008 at 3:08:43 pm

Most discs sold in stores are authored in Scenarist. The master is submitted to replication plant on DLT tape, where they make a glass master from it. If you want to have CSS copy protection on your final discs, the project MUST be submitted on DLT. The glass master is then used to mold the discs. I can give your client a quote for the project if they're interested.

Max
--
Blu-ray author/producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 24, 2008 at 10:32:26 pm

It should be pointed out that every SD DVD can be duplicated at will, there is virtually 0 protection since there are tons of free software out there that can used to rip every retail DVD.

While it is true that most retail DVDs are done with Scenarist you can do a professional job with other programs. In the end it is more about using the right tool for the budget you have to work with.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 25, 2008 at 5:47:47 pm

The trick is the DLT step- which allows you to add CSS and Macrovision- both of which must be licensed. If the client is willing to pay for that and the DLT deck rental you can do it in DVD Studio Pro. From there you need to have it replicated. All of that is quite pricey but all doable and yet ultimately a disc can still be ripped. If the client agrees you're all set.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 26, 2008 at 12:48:49 pm

Yes just about every SD-DVD can be copied. However there are other copy protections out there that are very difficult to copy. Hackers will find a way to remove the protection but for the casual user it makes it near impossible to rip. I am actually doing a test this week for a new DVD-Video protection on a DVD-9. So far what I've found on another DVD-Video copy protection is that it could not be copied/ripped.

Oh you don't have to rent a DLT machine. Just output to DDP 2.0 and either burn to a DVD-R or place on an external HD to submit to the replicator. That is of course if you are using a DVD authoring program that can output to DDP.

-luke

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 27, 2008 at 11:54:52 pm

[Lucas Fazzary] "Oh you don't have to rent a DLT machine. Just output to DDP 2.0 and either burn to a DVD-R or place on an external HD to submit to the replicator. That is of course if you are using a DVD authoring program that can output to DDP."

True that is one way- but a lot of replicators can't work from DDP. DLT is completely universal in the world of replication.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 28, 2008 at 1:40:34 am

Yes, always check with your replicator before hand to be sure they take DDP on HD or DVD-R. however I would be a little wary of a replicator that does not accept this as an input format.

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on May 29, 2008 at 6:01:04 pm

Lucas,

I would more likely be wary of a replicator who DOES accept DDP any way other than DLT and Wamnet. DLT uses by far the most extensive error detection and correction schemes, and is the most secure way of delivering your bits.

Max
--
Blu-ray author/producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 29, 2008 at 6:53:30 pm

You are correct Max, DEFINITELY make sure the replicator takes DLT as well! I didn't mean make sure they accept DDP on DVD-R/HD as a replacement for DLT. You can't beat the error correction on the DLT.

Now for the WAMNET statement. The end result of DDP on a HD is actually the same as delivery via Wamnet. Both end up on a Hard Drive either way. It's just that an external HD can be more secure then Wamnet. Also depending on connection speeds it can take a while to upload to Wamnet. Not to mention that even a pause in connection or dropped connection can damage the files. The DDP on DVD-R actually acts as a virtual HD as well (At least thats how Eclipse sees it). The only real problem with DDP on DVD-R is the possibilities of scratches or bad burn.

I do agree that DLT is a great way to submit masters but DLT is still expensive and slow. DLT also has the craziest compatibility chart I have ever seen for any media. You have the DLT spin wheel? It's insane.

My main point about being wary of a replicator not taking DDP on HD or DVD-R was that they may not be using the most up to date premastering software. This could result in errors not being flagged during premastering. There is a huge difference in the errors found in Eclipse 4 to version 5 (thanks to the UDF analysis). I know with Eclipse 4.1 and up they have implemented the ability to read DDP from a DVD-R. Which is great because DVD-R is cheap and can hold a CSS encrypted DDP image. The real downside of DVD-R is it's life expectancy.

-L

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jun 16, 2008 at 4:12:33 pm

thanks for all the input, fellas. Could someone shoot me a quote of how much it would cost to get a dvd authored this way and then make around 100 duplications?

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]