FORUMS: list search recent posts

Warned not to use MPEG audio by replication house

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David DiCanio
Warned not to use MPEG audio by replication house
on May 15, 2008 at 9:05:47 pm

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've authored a dvd, and exported out the file with mpeg audio instead of pcm wav. Didn't realize I did that. Used a Ligos encoder from my old set up (premiere pro 1.0 w/ matrox rt.x10). To go back now would be difficult as this is a service pack 1 set up with my old sofware, etc.

The replication company just gave me the warning below. How serious is this issue?

"we received testing results regarding your master. It appears to be encoded using MPEG audio. This is not compatible with many older DVD players (usually dating from the year 2000 and earlier). We can use the master, but we would need permission from you in writing to do so. If not, we would need a new master supplied with either AC3 (preferred) or PCM audio encoding."

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
Re: Warned not to use MPEG audio by replication house
on May 15, 2008 at 9:14:23 pm

They are correct. Mpeg audio is not part of the DVD spec for NTSC DVD's (PAL is OK). This will have problems not just on old DVD players but new ones as well. And when I say problems I mean some wont even play the DVD. So- *this is very serious*. If you still have the project just transcode the Audio to AC3 and re-output.

If you dont have the original files then you will need to demux the DVD and reauthor. Just search the Cow for demuxing/reauthoring.

Hope that helps

-l

Return to posts index

David DiCanio
on May 15, 2008 at 10:50:11 pm

Hi Lucas:

Thanks very much.

Pardon my ignorance but I have another question on this.

This may not be as serious as I thought. I just looked at my mpeg2 file that I exported out of my Ligos encoder from my old computer. The video file says m2v, the audio says wav. If it were mpeg audio it would say ".mpeg" right? This tells me that my original export is good, but I must have done the wrong settings when I authored the dvd in Adobe Audition cs3. Am I right on this? Apparently I transcoded the wav file to mpeg audio w/o realizing it. Not even sure where the settings are.

So bottom line, should my mpeg audio have an ".mpeg" extension or ".wav" extension. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 15, 2008 at 11:20:02 pm

You should have a .WAV file. In Encore just right click on the audio asset(WAV file) and choose transcode settings. Now I believe you have to buy the Ac3 plugin to transcode to Dolby but you can choose "Don't Transcode" to keep it uncompressed PCM audio. So long as you didn't encode your video to high (should stay below 7mbps to be safe) you should be all good.

-l

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2008 at 12:46:47 am

Hard to say- it could be WAV with MPEG compression. For best results it must be made into AC3 before you send for replication.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 16, 2008 at 1:02:50 am

Yeah...I agree with Noah. I'd make those audio files AC3 at this point. Don't go to replication without being completely sure what your doing here.

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 16, 2008 at 1:49:54 am

Just be sure what ever you use to transcode to AC3 (especially free programs) that it does in fact produce a compliant AC3 stream. I have had clients in the past use free programs online that will transcode to AC3 and even import into the authoring app but would when played back on some players there would be no sound. And trust me it was a pain trying to figure that one out.

Good program to use is TMPGENC and it is relatively cheap.

Return to posts index

David DiCanio
on May 16, 2008 at 5:05:17 pm

Thanks very much for everyones help.

I'll have to work on this. I'll look into the plug in for Encore. Or the TMP GENC. I'm assuming it's stand alone?

I actually do have an avi file that I exported out of the whole project. Am I right that I should be trying to reencode from that, or from the mpeg file. This is all new to me. Sorry. Thanks.

dave

Return to posts index

Lucas Fazzary
on May 16, 2008 at 6:04:09 pm

If you use TMPGENC you can do audio only encode from the AVI. Probably your best bet. I am not sure but I think TMP has a full 30-day eval you could use. I've owned it since back in 2003 and up until we got Scenarist I used it for a lot of AC3 encoding. Matter of fact you may get better encoding of your video using TMPGENC then with Encore or your video editing app.

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on May 16, 2008 at 6:09:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

Out of spec AC3 streams causing silent playback and even discs not to play is an issue occasionally out there.

Fortunately, I use the MEI DVD-Video Verifier here at the shop on every Image that arrives here. One of MEI's modules is an AC3 audio verifier; it nails problem streams every time - even in DVD Studio Pro Tracks where they've been added improperly. Because it's not just that the stream itself needs to be compliant, but the authoring system should be checked that it multiplexed everything in properly.

This week has been a particularly rough one for several good authoring studios I've been fortunate enough to just meet and work with (replication troubleshooting jobs); and it's underlined what I've known for years - any studio that sends discs out to market without having the MEI test run to assure the DVD's spec compliance, is taking a great risk.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com
Entering 10 years of full-time support of DVD Production Studios, worldwide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]