FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Professional DVD-R?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Crosby
A Professional DVD-R?
on May 8, 2008 at 4:47:24 pm

Hey guys,
Not so much an authoring question, but still DVD related, point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong forum.

Part of my job entails making DVD timecode burns for clients, so they can make a paper edit before coming into the edit suite. The way we have been making them has been going out of the deck composite super via SDI cable and into a consumer DVD-R (we use an RCA adapter to fit into the DVD-R) and patch the audio analog to the recorder. The particular model we use is a Panasonic DMR-ES45V.

Now, the problem we are encountering is that there is no way to set or monitor the audio levels, and for some reason the recorder boosts the level and clips the audio. The levels sound fine coming directly out of the deck, but monitoring the DVD audio it sounds awful.

The question now is, does anyone know of a particular "professional" DVD-R recorder that has audio level monitoring and adjusting capabilities that they prefer? Right now my temporary solution is to go out of the deck and into a mixer, out of the mixer and into the DVD-R. I say temporary because by going through the mixer I am unable to patch anything else through the mixer, aka I'm pretty much stuck waiting for the timecode burns to finish (3 one hour long DV CAM tapes)

After doing a search on Google I found 2 recorders so far,

http://www.tascam.com/details;8,11,42.html

which is a Tascam DV-RA1000HD for $2,499

and

http://www.proactionmedia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=E3002

which is a Pioneer PRV-LX1 Pro for $5,399

One better than the other? Know of a better recorder? Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks guys!

-Andy C

Return to posts index

Walter Antkiewicz
Re: A Professional DVD-R?
on May 9, 2008 at 5:05:28 pm

Why not buy a cheap mixer just for use in copying to the DVD recorder?

Return to posts index

Andrew Crosby
on May 9, 2008 at 6:08:23 pm

Have thought about it, but meh, I still feel as though the DVD player will not give me back what I'm putting into it. I feel like it will still do something to the audio that boosts it. I'll look more into though, thanks.

-Andy C

Return to posts index

Walter Antkiewicz
on May 9, 2008 at 6:33:46 pm

Sounds to me like you are putting a professional +4dB audio level into a consumer DVR that wants to see the lower -10dB consumer audio level.

Return to posts index

Andrew Crosby
on May 9, 2008 at 7:24:28 pm

Interesting...can you explain more? We are using a consumer DVR...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]