FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD makes everything soooo Dark....professional standards etc....

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tyler smith
DVD makes everything soooo Dark....professional standards etc....
on May 5, 2008 at 3:03:08 pm

I took my avi file, encoded it as mpeg 2 and it all came out pretty dark overall....it was properly exposed, its just the overall encode that seemed to do it.

The file was only like 8gb and I couldn't seem to get it to be much bigger than 2, obviously the mpeg file will be much smaller but how can I increase this file so that it comes out as like 3.5 Gb or so?

I am finished editing a surf video/documentary, possibly destined for tv as well, I don't know what to do aside from setting the levels blacks 18, whites 235 to comply with broadcast standards. is there something i'm missing, like a standard setting for the hue, brightness levels or what?

I'm really confused, I have a very good surf video but I can't seem to make it look good once its on the tv....i've seen other surf videos on the market that I know for a fact were shot with lesser cameras than a dvx100 but the overall image quality is much better in these other videos...i' have a feeling i'm really missing something in the editing department that is an important part of creating a professional product.

cheers,

tyler

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD makes everything soooo Dark....professional standards etc....
on May 5, 2008 at 6:43:19 pm

Not being harsh but there is not much useful info here to help give you advice. It is always a good idea to list -

What program are you using to encode the m2v?
What file of movie file do you have (what codec is it)?
What are you encoding settings?
Are you applying any filters as you encode?
What is the length of your movie?
What are you viewing your DVD on, TV, Computer?

DVDs blacks should be at 0 IRE as with all digital movies.

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on May 5, 2008 at 10:51:55 pm

Totally Off Topic but this isn't the Tyler Smith who rides Ghost Tree and Mavericks is it?

Eric

Return to posts index

tyler smith
on May 7, 2008 at 3:52:37 am

nope, not that tyler smith....or isn't it tyler fox??

Return to posts index

Ryan Valle
on May 6, 2008 at 5:33:16 am

Well a few things you want to double check on:

1. make sure your monitor is calibrated properly. Use color bars because an image that is overexposed/underexposed and viewed on an uncalibrated monitor is no help. if you need help reading color bars, im sure there's something on the internet. about it. its a tad hard to explain without pictures

2. use your scopes (vectorscopes or histograms) to make sure that the levels are correct and you are truely seeing what you're seeing.

3. Play back on different dvd players and tv sets. In short, isolate the problem.

Write back once you've tried this out and let us know of your results.

Ryan-Philipp

Return to posts index

tyler smith
on May 7, 2008 at 8:50:22 am

so I just added the gamma effect in adobe premiere pro, and dropped the value from its standard 10 to an 8, it worked wonders....is this the best way to do it? cuz adjusting the brightness and contrast looks like trash...ends up making it all really grainy.

Return to posts index

Ryan Valle
on May 7, 2008 at 10:03:55 pm

well, i dont know much about gamma. i dont usually touch gamma

but for brightness and contrast, that can either improve things if changed a little or make things look bad if done too much (from my experience at least).

You didnt mention if you ran color bar tests on your computer monitor to see if you're having problems with the monitor calibration, tv monitor calibration, or just your video was shot in very low light.

- Ryan Valle

Return to posts index

tyler smith
on May 8, 2008 at 12:20:10 am

yeah, monitor was calibrated...some footage is just kind of dark....im learning the scopes so i can have a more balanced luminance and what not...tricky stuff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]