FORUMS: list search recent posts

data on discs from Sony DVD recorder unaccessable on my Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Capra
data on discs from Sony DVD recorder unaccessable on my Mac
on May 2, 2008 at 11:19:26 pm

Our station uses a rack of standalone DVD recorders to record airchecks in 4-hour blocks. From time to time we have to use these airchecks for material for our promos when we didn't have to opportunity to roll on air in a better quality format.

I typically would use MPEG Streamclip on the Mac to extract the MPEG-2 stream from the VOB files on the disc and export to DV-encoded MOV's, which I typically import into Final Cut Pro.

They just added a Sony RDR-GX355 to the rack, and I've noticed that, when I put discs recorded in this unit into my Mac, it shows up on the desktop as SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME with a red dot with a white line through it on the icon. All the files and subdirectories on the disc are unaccessible at the filesystem level.

The only way I've gotten around this is to put the disc in a PC, share the drive in Windows File Sharing and then access the drive on my Mac via SMB://. This works, but it is really slow.

I assume this is a symptom of CPRM or some non-standard copy protection method that the recorder applies to the discs. Is there any way to get around this? Or to disable it from encoding it that way? We are recording our own material, so there are no copyright issues involved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]