FORUMS: list search recent posts

When customers play DVDs on computers w/o player

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
When customers play DVDs on computers w/o player
on Apr 24, 2008 at 3:58:40 pm

I have heard from a client that she can play a DVD I authored on her PC, but it doesn't play correctly.

Turns out she doesn't have DVD player software installed, and Windows Media (or some such) steps in to play the MPEG files.

How do you authoring experts deal with the possibility that a customer will "sort of" see your DVD, but in a way that makes it look as if your DVD doesn't work correctly?

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: When customers play DVDs on computers w/o player
on Apr 24, 2008 at 4:44:45 pm

You explain to them the situation and provide a link and instructions on what to do. I fact, I have a permanent disclaimer on my invoices that explains their responsibility in finding a suitable playback platform and this is not related to my authored discs. I even provide links to software playback apps. Before the invoice goes out, I explain this on the phone with them as well.

DVDs were designed to play on set top players...software playback came after the fact.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 24, 2008 at 4:59:06 pm

[eric pautsch] "I have a permanent disclaimer on my invoices that explains their responsibility in finding a suitable playback platform"
That works for the clients.

What about the final end user? Maybe the solution is very low-tech; put a label on the DVD which states that it can be played in a set-top box or a computer that has DVD software.

Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:11:59 pm

A disclaimer would be good. Like Micheal said, there's no possible way to control what happens once its delivered.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:00:33 pm

[Bob Cole] "but it doesn't play correctly" what exactly is it not doing or doing. I do not accept vague statements like this, this in no way to can troubleshot, "not playing correctly"

WM Player can play DVDs if they download the right codecs and using a modern version (11?). But it is still a MS product and they handle things a little less straight forward. So if a project works in everything else and you have authored a clean DVD there is not much you can do.

It would be great if someone knew of specific things that WMP didn't handle.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:11:08 pm

[Michael Sacci] "but it doesn't play correctly" what exactly is it not doing or doing. I do not accept vague statements like this, this in no way to can troubleshot, "not playing correctly""

I agree; when someone asks for help he/she should be as specific as possible. But that's the best I can do right now; I'm hearing this from a very non-technical person who's a coast away from me, and I thought the experts here might already be familiar with this situation. If/when I obtain a more detailed report I'll provide it.

Thanks for the report about WMP. That makes life interesting. I will try to make sure we have enough time in the schedule to do testing before the label is printed, so we can provide a "compatible with" list for computer playback.

Bob c

Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:25:51 pm

Bob, totally understand, and I was mostly meaning that the 1st thing I do is to require a client to give me full details of the problem, I do authoring for a replication place and a lot of times the end "client" goes through 3 levels before me. So I get "it has problems" a lot, a good bit of the time it is user errors but I refuse to try to solve a problem before I know exactly what it is.

But yes it is also important that you post as much info as you can also :-).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 24, 2008 at 8:42:57 pm

You could print instructions to download PowerDVD on the back. I mean you can buy an Apex DVD player for $20 so it's ultimately their issue if they haven't got a disc player. Surely if they want a DVD they must have found some way in the past to play one?

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]