FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pillarbox workaround?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terrence Dunlop
Pillarbox workaround?
on Apr 22, 2008 at 11:05:16 pm

I'm doing a reel for an actor who has both 4:3 TV work and a big 1.85:1 movie. He doesn't want pillarboxes on his 4:3 stuff.

So: is there any way to compress the 1.85:1 movie so I can set the display mode in my prefs to 4:3 and leave it there, screening the 1.85 w/ letterboxing? any idea where to go to set custom settings in DVDSP or Compressor? I guess I need the whole workflow, if anyone's got a second.

The guy's not the star of the movie, so using DVDSP's 4:3 pan and scan cuts him out of the picture for all intents.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Pillarbox workaround?
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:21:22 pm

[Terrence Dunlop] "He doesn't want pillarboxes on his 4:3 stuff."

I'd try to talk him into pillarboxes. What is there to lose? Isn't that the way all 4:3 appears on any new, HD-compatible tv?

Don't have the Mac workflow for you, but on the PC side there is at least one utility which will allow you to reset the aspect ratio flags. (I think it's "Restream.")

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
Re: Pillarbox workaround?
on Apr 28, 2008 at 5:56:49 pm

There was an easy solution for him anyway - I nested the 1.85 movie in a 4:3 timeline, instead of pillarboxing all the 4:3 stuff in an HD - ish timeline. Little more time spent rendering, but it really was a "Duhhh" solution. I felt embarassed at how easily it was resolved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]