FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Problems for Feature Length Movie

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Packer
Compressor Problems for Feature Length Movie
on Apr 13, 2008 at 10:44:29 pm

I've just finished editing a feature length movie (81 minutes) and I am having problems creating the finalized DVD. I edited the movie is Final Cut Pro, used Compressor to create an ac3 and m2v, and use DVD Studio Pro to make the DVD. On my computer, the footage looks fine, but when I play the movie on a DVD player, the picture seems to be brightened significantly and washed out. The dark scenes are too bright, and the reds and oranges are very exaggerated and blown out.

As for the m2v settings in compressor, I'm using a frame rate of 23.98, an average bit rate of 6.8 mbps and a maximum of 8.0 mbps.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I just want the DVD to look as good as it looks on my computer. For now I've been compensating by altering the brightness in compressor, but that doesn't look too great. How can I make my DVD look professional?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Compressor Problems for Feature Length Movie
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:07:37 am

What versions are you using? This was a common problem with earlier versions of Compressor.

While a lot of people knock compressor, I have been able to get great encodes out of it. My method is to go from FCP timelines - via Export to Compressor. Then I do CBR encodes. You can use 6.5Mbps with ac3 audio and it should look good. Do short test and if you are still getting washed out encodes you can start modifying with the filters, you need to do testing in steps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]